TikTok Treats, Week of September 27th
This Week TikTok Gets Fancy Like Applebee’s, Indulges in Rockwell’s Paranoia, and Loudly Says “We Love You Tecca”
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. In recent weeks, hit songs from multiple decades have trended on the app, even as the community continues to discover new stars. Below, check out some of the more notable songs and trends to pop on the platform in late September:
- Country music has been having a major moment this past summer on TikTok with the success of Walker Hayes’ “Fancy Like”. Inspired by his family’s countless trips to Applebee’s in his hometown of Mobile, Alabama during his childhood, “Fancy Like” has sparked a dance trend on the app to the tune of over 724K creations. Since Walker posted a TikTok of him hitting some trendy dance moves to the song with his daughter Lela in June, the dance has been recreated by couples working on farms, creators who lost hilarious bets, and creators getting photobombed by Shaq at Applebee’s. The track’s continued success on the app has translated to over 66M listens on Spotify, 11 weeks at #1 on the Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart, and a TikTok montage of the sound’s creations in an Applebee’s commercial. Walker Hayes even connected with pop star Kesha for a remix to the catchy, feel-good track and, of course, you know they had to grace the app with a duet creation of them grooving to their collaboration.
- Few classic hits are as ripe for TikTok appreciation as Rockwell’s 1984 classic “Somebody’s Watching Me“–it has a distinct vibe, describes a relatable paranoid mindset, and communicates a complex idea in a matter of seconds. With over 184k video creations since user @terrencel0vesu danced to it on a boardwalk on September 13th, the song is taking over TikTok’s virtual airwaves. Some users have ran with a simple close-up based trend, or choreographed their own dance, but others have gotten more creative, leaning into the song’s Halloween-y subtext and posting clips of themselves in creepy costumes or tours of potentially-haunted houses.
- 19-year-old Queens rapper Lil Tecca’s growing fanbase on TikTok is proof positive that his catchphrase “we love you Tecca” is no exaggeration. On the heels of his success on the platform with “Ransom” (671.7K+ video creations combined) and “Out of Love” (30.7K+ creations), the internet-savvy artist is yet again at the center of a bubbling trend for his song, “Lot of Me” (136.9K+ creations combined). The bass-boosted song trends on the back of dance, choreographed by TikTok user @worldwidekayy. In other creations, TikTok users repurpose a fun-loving clip of Twitch streamer Kai Cenat, show off their anime drawing skills, and spark discussion by asking “what if” questions using the text-on-screen feature.
- By digging up classic hits and giving them new context, TikTok users open up a two-way portal between music’s past and present. This week, creators have rediscovered Baby Boy Da Prince’s 2007 song “The Way I Live,” using the song’s emphatic chorus to make defiant statements about their own lives. The soft-spoken classic boasts 13.6K+ creations to date, with users comedically responding to criticisms about their everyday habits. Whether they decide to buy new clothes for every season, throw extravagant birthday parties, or opt for a new hair color, creators turn to Baby Boy Da Prince’s one-liner as the explanation for their choices: “This is the way I live.”
- Filipino Indie rock singer Eyedress’ hazy and heartfelt “Something About You” (64K+ creations) is making the rounds on TikTok. Creators have been taking to the song’s “She looks just like a dream, the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen” lyrics to demonstrate ways they love themselves, the ways they love others, and the ways others love them. The smooth, ethereal indie rock track has inspired creations from those who take pride in their early morning makeup routines, love having painting dates with their significant other, and have mothers who never cease to adore their child’s beauty. After he noticed the song trending, Eyedress revealed that his girlfriend was his muse for the track, much to the delight of those on the app who enjoy the song.
- Part of the beauty of music on TikTok is its collaborative nature–using the duet function, creators can elaborate on one artist’s idea and weave a vast tapestry of complementary sounds. In July, singer @sarahcothran recorded an acapella interpretation of MIKA’s 2009 hit “Grace Kelly,” including melodic ideas for vocal parts in each range. The original sound has over 26k video creations, as TikTok users add their own voices and ideas on top of Sarah’s, ranging from simple harmonies, to original rap verses. Sarah’s original instrumental has taken on a life of its own, as users channel the deep emotion of her vocal performance to tell personal stories, such as how their parents met in the military, how they serendipitously met their future spouses, and how they parlayed looking like Adam Sandler into a chance to meet the man himself.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry