TikTok Treats, Week of July 26th
This Week, TikTok Imitates Normani, Gets Inspiration From Reba McEntire, and Discovers a New Vocal Talent at a Louisiana Gas Station
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week, TikTok brought new dances from pop superstars and rising rappers, celebrated the personality of one of the world’s most beloved country stars, and might have introduced a new country star, who showcases his talent on the app. Here are the music stories that are making an impact on TikTok this week:
- Normani made a triumphant return to music earlier this month, releasing her sultry single “Wild Life” featuring TikTok favorite Cardi B. The song might seem simple on its face, but it comes equipped with a deliciously difficult dance challenge that is sweeping through the app. The trend started with the assistance of @zinksvuitton, who impressed Normani and her team with his moves, and since then, the song as inspired over 20k video creations, with many creators trying to mimic the tricky choreography, and others doing the dance at church.
- Reba McEntire’s 2001 country hit “I’m A Survivor” is an ode to those who’ve been dealt a bad hand, but are determined to persevere through the pain. On TikTok, however, the song’s heartfelt sincerity is at the heart of an ironic trend where creators find solutions to minor inconveniences. “I’m A Survivor” (30k+ video creations) is the ideal soundtrack for times when McDonald’s doesn’t provide enough ketchup, or puppies struggling through a late dinner, or athletes giving fans a sneak peek into life in the Olympic village. Earlier this week, Reba got in on the trend herself, showing what happens when she feeds her ungrateful donkeys in a video that racked up over 12 million views.
- Brooklyn rapper Sleepy Hallow was a TikTok sensation in 2020 for his “Deep End Freestyle” (416k video creations) which helped catapult the careers of Sleepy and sampled artist Foushée to a new level. Sleepy is trending once again with his new song “2055” (61k video creations), a low-key anthem about being ahead of the curve. The song’s TikTok success is bolstered by a new trend, in which creators tap into the song’s propulsive wistfulness and reveal their life motivations. Some creators are motivated by their significant others, some want to impress that one guy they can’t help but trust, and some just want the comforting assurance that they’re better than their friends at a video game.
- Sleepy Hallow isn’t the only rapper who’s building on their 2020 success on TikTok–Kenndog has perfected the art of the viral smash. The L.A. rapper created one of the biggest TikTok songs of late 2020 when he released “Drip Like ME,” generating over 940k video creations. The rapper is back on the trending charts with his new song “Beethoven.” Using a sample of the titular composer’s “Für Elise,” “Beethoven” inspired a dance trend that’s equal parts risqué and classy. TikTok users have hit the “Beethoven” dance at gas stations and fast food joints, and have taught the dance to their infant daughters. Nobody is enjoying the trend more than Kenndog himself, who did his own version of the trend while dressed as the 19th century composer in a video with over 2.7 million views.
- TikTok’s next breakout star might just have been found in a Louisiana gas station. Bear Bailey is a 33-year-old welder with golden pipes, and the cashiers at his local gas station encourage him to show off his gifts in public. They filmed his performances of country hits by Keith Urban, Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs, and more (including some covers of classic R&B), and captured the store customers’ spellbound reactions. Bear started posting these videos on his TikTok in early July, and since then, he’s generated tens of millions of views and built his TikTok following to over 2 million. Known for his friendly demeanor and his rock band t-shirts, Bear took the time to thank the gas station cashiers who helped kickstart his rise to TIkTok prominence.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Andrea Higgins, Erin Ryan, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry