TikTok Treats, Week of June 28th
Avril Lavigne Links Up with a “SK8TER BOI,” the Community Gets Inside the Mind of Bo Burnham, and More From the Wild World of TIkTok
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. The platform’s taste in music is as diverse as its community, with recent trends coming from the worlds of trap music, glitch hop, dembow, pop-punk, and Italian rock music. Take a look at some stories that made noise in recent days on TikTok’s rich pageant:
- Avril Lavigne’s pop-punk opus “SK8TER BOI” has often been a song of choice for the thrashers of TikTok, but it reached another level last week when Avril posted her first TikTok. Recruiting the world’s pre-eminent skater boy Tony Hawk, Avril turned back the clock to 2002, rocking her iconic loosely-tied tie before passing the baton to Hawk, who demonstrates that he still has half-pipe heat. Avril’s video racked up over 26.5 million views, and spurred renewed interest in “SK8TER BOI” across the platform (25k video creations).
- Latin music has a large and growing audience on TikTok and “Fulanito,” a new single by of Becky G and El Alfa, is making major waves on the platform. The high-energy track lends itself perfectly to a new dance trend, created by the dynamic sibling duo @lossiblings_, which has helped catapult the sound to over 450k creations. “Fulanito” and its accompanying dance has been used to add a unique bounce to a variety of videos. Creators have used it when dancing with mom, dancing in the airport, or even offering inspiration for better organization. A popular figure on TIkTok with over 11 million followers, Becky G saluted the dance’s creators on her own page, and used the duet feature to show those participating in the dance challenge tons of love.
- Trap music legend Gucci Mane’s song “Addicted” came out in 2016, but the song is getting new life, thanks to creators on TikTok. Inspiring over 319.2K+ creations, with the vast majority coming in recent days, creators have been using the opening line “Hi my name is Gucci Mane, I’m addicted to everything,” to let the world know about the top four things they can’t live without. While some creators speak for themselves and their travel obsession, others speak for their stomach that always causes them problems or their adorable babies who are obsessed with tummy rubs.
- Musical comedy sensation Bo Burnham is a digital native, building an audience with his hilarious songs and short-form jokes on Vine and YouTube before becoming a respected stand-up comic and film director. It should be no surprise, then, that he has a huge following on TikTok, where his fans have eagerly posted videos soundtracked to songs from his recent Netflix special Inside. A satirical ode to the Amazon CEO, Burnham’s song “Bezos!” (12k combined video creations) is the ideal soundtrack to moments where you maximize your earning potential, or you find an Amazon driver determined to deliver a package come hell or high water. His song “All Eyes On Me” (54k video creations) caused TikTok users to ponder their place in the cosmos, and bemoan their overeager immune systems. The third song to receive traction is “White Woman’s Instagram,” in which self-deprecating TikTok users comment on their own social media clichés. One user, however, flipped the script, using the sound to comment on stereotypical photos on a white man’s social media profile.
- Rock band Måneskin became a global sensation when they won Eurovision 2021, representing their native Italy. They’ve made a global impact on TikTok as well, generating hundreds of thousands of video creations with multiple songs. TikTok creators have used Eurovision-winning song “Zitti E Buoni” in over 130k videos, and their single “I Wanna Be Your Slave” inspired over 116k video creations, including some from TIkTok users shocking their parents with the song’s libidinous lyrics. Even bigger on the platform is their song, “Beggin,” which has racked up over 2.8 million video creations, with creators using the sound to back up everything from unexpected feats of strength, to effects-laden tributes to the Disney+ show Loki. Meanwhile, Måneskin the band is riding high, with over 2.9 million TikTok followers, posting clips from their performances and even revealing a “work in progress” song for their fans. With three songs in the Spotify Global Top 50, including “Beggin” at #6, Måneskin is poised to dominate the rock music world, on and off TikTok.
- Rising artist Luci4’s music exists far outside the mainstream, but his high-tempo, distorted electronic “Kurxxed Emeraldz” (82.3K+ creations) has caught fire on TikTok with a new trend that emphasizes “glitching.” Created by @glitchgirlmaster, the trend consists of users moving and dancing as they attempt to hit all the stuttering beats in the track and provide a visual glitch effect with their movements. A fast rising trend, there are now creators who call themselves “glitch couples,” creators who “glitch” as they wonder why they can’t act like a baby in public, and others who still haven’t quite figured out how to catch the beat on the track to “glitch” yet.
Last week, Ed Sheeran hosted a TikTok LIVE concert during the UEFA Euro 2020 soccer tournament, performing his hits, along with his new single “Bad Habits.” The superstar British singer drew over 5.5 million unique viewers, shattering the record for most-watched TikTok LIVE event. Check out more information about the performance at TikTok’s newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/ed-sheeran-tiktok-show-breaks-records-with-5-point-5-million-viewers
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry