TikTok Treats, Week of May 24th
Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 (Again!), Tesher Continues His Viral Success, and the Community Wants to Rock with Twisted Sister
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. The songs featured this week range from brand new smash hits to ’70s classics, each one spurring its own universe of skits, dances, and memes. Check out this week’s trends, which reflect the app’s unique tapestry of sounds and the vibrancy of the creator community:
- Olivia Rodrigo was TikTok’s first big breakout artist of 2021, and it’s becoming clearer and clearer that she’s here to stay. Her new single “good 4 u” just debuted at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, her second #1 debut of the year following the success of “driver’s license” (1.8 million video creations). Like with “driver’s license,” the massive opening week of “good 4 u” was propelled by TikTok, whose community can’t get enough Olivia, creating over 750k videos to the song on multiple sounds. Creators use the song to soundtrack impulsive actions, like a new haircut or a feline dance party, while others respond to Olivia’s “like a damn sociopath” lyric, describing anti-social tendencies like lathering fries in ketchup instead of dipping or brushing teeth with hot water instead of cold. Many users, however, just love the song and will take any excuse to jam out.
- Canadian rapper-producer Tesher has been making viral hits on TikTok since 2019, building a following with his seamless blend of hip-hop and Desi cultures. He first gained attention in 2019, with his mash up of “Old Town Road” and Bollywood hit “Ramta Jogi” (489k video creations) and struck again in 2020 with his single “Young Shahrukh” (292k video creations), which became the basis of a fashion-forward transition trend. Outdoing himself yet again, Tesher has had his greatest success yet with his danceable single “Jalebi Baby,” racking up over 1.4 million video creations, powered in part by a “this or that” trend that encourages creators (including Jason Derulo) to make impossible choices. Now signed to Capitol Records, Tesher recently took to TikTok to express his gratitude to is fans and prove the app’s life-changing potential.
- Few R&B ballads are as purely sweet as Miguel’s 2010 hit “Sure Thing,” a song about staying loyal to the ones you love. A new trending sound on TikTok emphasizes the song’s sweetness, presenting an amateurish, a capella version of “Sure Thing” that makes up for the technical shortcomings with deep emotion. With over 133k video creations since April, “Sure Thing” has become an anthem for dog owners who can’t bear to leave their pets alone, an ideal way to reenact moments of nervous anticipation, or a soundtrack to your embarrassing childhood recollections. Most notably, Lil Nas X used the audio when he showed up 3 hours early for his Jimmy Fallon interview.
- Native-American funk rock band Redbone made history in 1974 when they scored a #5 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with their feel-good track “Come and Get Your Love,” becoming the first Native-American band to secure a top 5 single on the Hot 100 chart. The song has had many lives since its initial release, including placement in the Guardians Of The Galaxy soundtrack and now, it’s following in the footsteps of fellow GOTG song ELO’s “Mr. Blue Sky” as a TikTok hit. Amassing over 736K creations, “Come and Get Your Love” soundtracks lighthearted moments on TikTok, proving to be the perfect audio for hilariously unpredictable wedding moments, golden retrievers living up to their name, and vibing with the friendliest pigs on the farm.
- “Come And Get Your Love” isn’t the only retro radio staple to gain traction on TikTok in the past week–Twisted Sister’s 1984 stadium classic “I Wanna Rock” is picking up steam. It can be a source of dad jokes or a way for a young rock fan to express her love for the genre, but in recent days “I Wanna Rock” is the soundtrack to a bizarre trend involving squeezable cheese and a Ritz cracker, popularized by creator @mattzworld in a video that racked up over 285k views. Though there might be songs that seem more likely to inspire people to “get crazy with the cheez whiz,” “I Wanna Rock” is the gloriously cheesy anthem of choice for a growing contingent of TIkTok pranksters.
- Rising producer PlayaPhonk is providing the underground club vibes on TikTok this week with a dark, techno anthem “Phonkytown.” Still seemingly a hidden treasure across most of the Internet, the track is taking off on TikTok, garnering a combined 284.9K+ creations so far. The booming bass and distorted effects in the track are a big hit on the platform, as the beat has inspired creations from the spookily creative side of TikTok. The sound is the perfect mood-setter for your Halloween-themed engagement photoshoots or the latest character cosplay. The intense mood of the track even seems to make some creators think about moments when they want to fight their best friends–all in the name of BFF love of course. The TikTok success of “Phonkytown” has helped the song rise up the Spotify U.S. Viral 50 chart, where it currently sits at #3.
Since debuting in March with a one-of-a-kind interview with Demi Lovato, TikTok has continued its Headstream series, which takes fans inside the minds of their favorite artists. Tune in this Friday at 4pm PT/7pm ET to check out iconic pop star P!nk host a one-of-a-kind stream from her @pinkofficial account. Read more at TikTok’s newsroom.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry
On TikTok: Lil Nas X Brings “Holiday” Cheer, Shawn Mendes Welcomes Us to His World & More
Run-DMC, MGMT, and More Noteworthy TikTok Stories
Billie Eilish and Queen Join the Party, New Viral Hits Take Flight, and More From the World of TikTok
Ariana Grande, Rick Astley and More TikTok Stories
Elton John, Tim Burton, Liam Payne and More Add Some Pumpkin Spice to the Week in TikTok
John Lennon, Oasis, George Michael, and More Score Trending Hits on TikTok
Stevie Nicks, Jason Derulo, and More Highlight a Big TikTok Week
Now Here You Go Again, You Say You Want Your TikToks
Pop Smoke, 24kGoldn, Flo Milli, and Others Have Scored Multiple TikTok Hits
TikTok Salutes Its #FamiliaLatina: Music Stories from Latinx Heritage Month
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth