TikTok Treats, Week of May 10th
DJ Khaled Vibes to His Album, Coldplay Previews New Music, and Viral Rap Songs Take the App By Storm
TikTok is a powerful medium for music, providing the framework for fans to discover new favorite songs and enabling emerging and established artists to make meaningful connections with their followers. The app encourages unique, authentic expression, and the emotional connections forged with music help songs that gain traction on the app find success off-platform. In the past week, TikTok has helped new and established artists score hits on the app and beyond. Check out some of the most notable recent music trends tearing up TikTok:
- DJ Khaled is a social media savant, and during the rollout of his recent album Khaled Khaled, he’s decided to make TikTok his next world to conquer. Leading up to and immediately following the album’s release, Khaled relentlessly promoted it on TikTok. Catch Khaled vibing in his convertible to “Big Paper” ft. Cardi B, eating a seafood feast to the tune of “Body In Motion” ft. Bryson Tiller, Roddy Ricch & Lil Baby, and jumping in the pool to celebrate scoring vocals from Justin Timberlake for “JUST BE.” Fueled by his boisterous personality and an promotional campaign that saw some of his TikToks projected onto buildings all over the world, Khaled’s latest star-studded affair debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, becoming his third chart-topping album.
- British rockers Coldplay leveled up their TikTok presence in recent weeks, posting nine videos and generating millions of views. The group previewed their single “Higher Power” as a sound on TikTok, encouraging fans to create videos to the sound. After two weeks and 80k+ video creations, the inspirational and propulsive “Higher Power” is a trending sound on TikTok, as users turn to the song for positivity in dark times, celebrating their friends, and more.
- Eurodance had a moment in the late ’90s and early ’00s, and now one of the most recognizable jams from that era is finding a second life on TikTok. Alice Deejay’s impossibly energetic 1999 hit “Better Off Alone” (nearly 200k video creations) is adding a jolt to the platform, soundtracking freeze frame poses, dachshund dances, cat DJ sets, and myriad other ways to show off your adorable pets. The most-viewed videos using the sound, however, come from @poolpromj, a professional pool cleaner who built a following of over 1 million on TikTok by posting his oddly fascinating videos about turning dirty pools into summertime paradises.
- Following in the footsteps of viral rap stars like Mooski and WhoHeem, Texas rapper Cico P rose from TikTok to the pop charts this week off the strength of his single “Tampa.” Cico’s drawly delivery over spritely, bass-heavy production sets an instant vibe, adding a serene quality to even the wildest of videos. The song generated over 110k video creations (a number that is currently growing by over 1k creations per hour), powered in part by a trend that takes inspiration from Cico’s lyric “that boy bad news, he a menace to society,” as creators point out behaviors and people that fit Cico’s description, including but not limited to star football defensive linemen, people who add an extra line when writing the number seven, and people who bite directly into KitKat bars. The TikTok success of “Tampa” has crossed over to the charts, as the song reached #43 on Spotify’s U.S. Top 50 chart, #53 on the Rolling Stone’s singles chart, and #97 on this week’s Billboard Hot 100.
- Rising rapper YungManny is taking over TikTok with his new single “Clap For Em,” a collaboration with TikTok favorite Flo Milli and “Whole Lotta Choppas” (5.1M+ creations) hitmaker Sada Baby. The song’s booming 808s make perfect for a hot new dance trend, created by @taymarquise. The user-generated version of “Clap For Em” has amassed over 2M creations, including an enthusiastic rendition of @taymarquise’s dance from Flo Milli herself. The official versions of the sound have garnered a combined 74K+ creations and have inspired videos from TikTok creators who are more than ready for school to end and others who are aiming to have endless summer action like Phineas and Ferb. In addition to its TikTok virality, “Clap For ‘Em” is gaining traction on streaming services as well: it’s currently #31 on Spotify’s U.S. Viral 50 chart.
- Finishing up a big week for rising rappers on TikTok is Atlanta rapper Retro Messiah, who is tearing up the platform with his hypnotic single “Addicted To Finessin” (120k video creations). The song is becoming a motto for sly dishonesty, whether sending texts with ulterior motives, or trying to get close to a crush. The song inspired a dance, sometimes filmed from the neck down with focus on the dancer’s removed shoes, that emphasizes the subterfuge apparent in the lyrics. Recently, “Addicted To Finessin” found its way into videos by Lizzo and Kehlani, who both performed the viral dance with aplomb.
Since debuting in March with a one-of-a-kind interview with Demi Lovato, TikTok has continued its Headstream series, which takes fans inside the minds of their favorite artists. The most recent installment of Headstream starred Aly & AJ, who trended on TikTok in the Fall with their 2007 hit “Potential Breakout Song.” Stay tuned for future installments featuring the likes of Blake Shelton and P!nk.
Last week, the Song Exploder podcast produced an episode about girl in red, a 2020 TikTok breakout star, focusing on her song “Serotonin,” which she first revealed to the world on TikTok last March. The new episode takes a deep look inside girl in red’s creative process and is available to stream here: https://songexploder.net/girl-in-red
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry
On TikTok: Lil Nas X Brings “Holiday” Cheer, Shawn Mendes Welcomes Us to His World & More
Run-DMC, MGMT, and More Noteworthy TikTok Stories
Billie Eilish and Queen Join the Party, New Viral Hits Take Flight, and More From the World of TikTok
Ariana Grande, Rick Astley and More TikTok Stories
Elton John, Tim Burton, Liam Payne and More Add Some Pumpkin Spice to the Week in TikTok
John Lennon, Oasis, George Michael, and More Score Trending Hits on TikTok
Stevie Nicks, Jason Derulo, and More Highlight a Big TikTok Week
Now Here You Go Again, You Say You Want Your TikToks
Pop Smoke, 24kGoldn, Flo Milli, and Others Have Scored Multiple TikTok Hits
TikTok Salutes Its #FamiliaLatina: Music Stories from Latinx Heritage Month
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth