TikTok Treats, Week of March 29th
Thugger Challenges Gunna to a Dance-Off, Users Find Unconventional Inspiration with Vanessa Carlton, and More From the World of Music on TikTok
TikTok is a platform where songs by artists of all artists coexist on a level playing field. This past week on TikTok saw songs from a superstar’s new album trend alongside a fan-favorite from an emerging artist and hits from each of the past two decades. Take a look to see how TikTok’s endlessly creative users built unique worlds out of these disparate songs:
- TikTok favorite Justin Bieber returned to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 this week with “Peaches,” his new single with Daniel Caesar and fellow TikTok-beloved singer Giveon (whose “HEARTBREAK ANNIVERSARY” reached the Hot 100 after trending on the app). As is the case with many #1 hits, TikTok played a large part in its rise–the song racked up over 110k video creations since the song’s release, with the song catching fire with TikTok’s haircare community and getting a boost from Hailey Bieber, the song’s subject, and from Justin himself, who danced to the song in his “drew house”-branded attire in a video that racked up over 6 million views in just more than 1 week.
- Earlier this morning, TikTok intercepted a mysterious transmission from rock’s most mysterious and creative band…RADIOHEAD. The notoriously enigmatic group posted their first-ever TikTok, featuring an appearance from Chieftain Mews, a character well-known to fans of the band for his appearance on Radiohead webcasts, and a glitchy, but familiar instrumental. Don’t worry…everything is in its right place.
- Mike Posner’s laidback, synth-heavy vibe is proving to be a surprising hit on TikTok in 2021. The singer’s 2011 hit “Please Don’t Go” is having a major moment, generating over 450k views, many within the past week. The song has fueled a fashionable new challenge–users start their video by playfully looking at the camera, before the beat drops and the video cuts to them in a babushka and sunglasses, staring into the distance. The song has gained surprising traction in Indonesia, and has become a favorite for users brainstorming new outfits for their pets. benny blanco, the song’s co-writer and producer, recently posted a video commenting on the song’s unexpected resurgence and thanking the TikTok community for making it possible.
- ATL rap superstar Young Thug is making his presence felt on TikTok. The iconic artist behind the TikTok-trending “Relationship” ft. Future (2.5 million video creations) has been teasing new music on the platform, preparing his fans for the upcoming release of Slime Language 2. Thugger most recently shared a video of himself dancing to a new Wheezy-produced banger, tagging his YSL compadre Gunna and asking him to continue the trend (Gunna obliged hours later).
- When songs get popular enough on TikTok, they become part of the app’s sonic tapestry, offering a familiar soundtrack that evokes fond memories of the app itself. One such song is “Stuck In The Middle” by Tai Verdes (2.6 million views), which blew up on TikTok last summer and has remained on the trending charts ever since. The song’s loping bassline provides the ideal backing track for revealing your birthday color, drinking too many margaritas, and asking friends how they think they might wind up in jail.
- One of the most beloved pop songs of the early ’00s, Vanessa Carlton’s “A Thousand Miles” (175k+ combined TIkTok video creations) is finding second (or third or fourth) life on TikTok. The community seized upon the song’s iconic piano intro, subverting its beautiful for some deep irony, creating inspirational quotes out of phrases that are anything but–including quotes from unhelpful dads during labor, thoughts during a hard test, and even the inner monologue of a pet duck.
- In the vast expanse of human history, there’ve been songs written about nearly every possible subject. TikTok creator Natalie Burdick (@natsingssongs) is on a mission to make sure that noble tradition continues. Dressed in her signature purple workout clothes, Nat creates catchy and harmonically complex songs about…everything, from sidewalk celery, to unlucky bird encounters, to the at-home feeling that only Shrek’s swamp can provide. Whenever you’re in the mood for an off-kilter, weirdly relatable song to get stuck in your head when you’re reckoning with your newfound love of La Croix, Nat is happy to oblige.
Earlier this week, TikTok announced the first Headstream, a new LIVE series that allows fans to go inside the minds of their favorite artists. The first session airs Friday April 2nd, featuring a one-of-a-kind interview with Demi Lovato, on the occasion of her new album Dancing With The Devil…The Art Of Starting Over. Check back on Fridays at 4pm PT/7pm ET for Headstream, with future installments featuring Lil Tjay, Aly & AJ, plus more. Demi is also set to perform LIVE on TikTok on Monday April 5th at 6PM PT/9 PM ET to perform new songs from her album.
Read more at TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/get-inside-the-mind-of-demi-lovato-live-on-tiktoks-headstream
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry
On TikTok: Lil Nas X Brings “Holiday” Cheer, Shawn Mendes Welcomes Us to His World & More
Run-DMC, MGMT, and More Noteworthy TikTok Stories
Billie Eilish and Queen Join the Party, New Viral Hits Take Flight, and More From the World of TikTok
Ariana Grande, Rick Astley and More TikTok Stories
Elton John, Tim Burton, Liam Payne and More Add Some Pumpkin Spice to the Week in TikTok
John Lennon, Oasis, George Michael, and More Score Trending Hits on TikTok
Stevie Nicks, Jason Derulo, and More Highlight a Big TikTok Week
Now Here You Go Again, You Say You Want Your TikToks
Pop Smoke, 24kGoldn, Flo Milli, and Others Have Scored Multiple TikTok Hits
TikTok Salutes Its #FamiliaLatina: Music Stories from Latinx Heritage Month
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth