TikTok Treats, Week of March 8th
New Artists and Old Favorites Light Up the Trending Charts as TikTok Favorites Prepare For Grammy Weekend
TikTok is a bustling superhighway of musical ideas, carrying music from artists of all types and genres to a large community eager to find new music. As artists and fans flock to the platform, it can be daunting to try to keep track of the app’s various musical trends and events. Below, take a look at some of the most relevant stories heating up on TikTok in recent days, ranging from a host of Grammy nominees to up-and-coming artists, and everything in between:
- It takes a lot to impress Shania Twain, but even the country icon might be taken aback by the reaction to her new #LetsGoGirls challenge. The multiple Grammy-winning artist joined TikTok on International Women’s Day with an energetic TikTok (over 11 million video views) soundtracked by her 1999 hit “Man! I Feel Like a Woman“. With over 19.5k video creations and over 45 million video views on the #LetsGoGirls hashtag, the song’s blaring horn intro has become a popular sound on TikTok, as users take Shania’s cue and strut their strut, reveal little-known feminine facts, and dress for a wild night out.
- Kid Cudi scored his biggest hit in 2008 with the now-classic single “Day ‘N’ Nite”, and in 2021, the TikTok community has adopted it to spill their confessions. With over 303K creations, many creators are putting a humorous spin on the somber song as they turn off the lights in the room and switch up the sentence on the screen to reveal a confession or an unexpected object. Some creators confessed to too many drunk college nights, while others have turned off the lights to reveal funny emo cats. One of TikTok’s favorite grandmas even joined in on the fun as she used this opportunity to expose her own sneaker obsession.
- The Grammys are approaching this weekend, and TikTok played a major role in elevating songs, artists, and albums that earned nominations, including Record Of The Year nominees Doja Cat (“Say So,” 15 million+ creations), Megan Thee Stallion (“Savage,” 25 million+ creations), Dua Lipa (“Don’t Start Now,” 3.7 million creations), and DaBaby (“Rockstar” ft. Roddy Ricch, 8 million creations). Megan and Doja Cat also earned nominations for Best New Artist, Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia earned an Album of the Year nod, and Roddy Ricch earned multiple nominations in rap categories for his TikTok hit “The Box.” All of the above artists have noted TikTok’s role in the success of their songs–just this week, Doja Cat released the music video for “Streets,” in which she attempted the trending “Silhouette Challenge” (339 million video views) that the song inspired.
- TikTok made a major impact on the Grammy Awards and the charts in 2020, and 2021 proves that TikTok hasn’t lost an ounce of its hitmaking juice. The latest TikTok hit to skyrocket up the charts is “Track Star,” a melodic trap jam by rising rapper Mooski. The song started to trend in January after @CityBoyJ created an ambulatory dance that commented on the song’s “she’s a runner, she’s a track star” hook. Undeterred by untoward comments, @CityBoyJ posted a video of himself dancing to the song every day–not as a way to get viral, but as a way to stay fit. His persistence made a mark on the TikTok community, helping “Track Star” rack up over 308k video creations and inspiring celebrities like Coi Leray, Dream Doll,, and more to do their own spin on the dance. Propelled by @CityBoyJ’s dance challenge, “Track Star” debuted at #99 on the Billboard Hot 100 last week, before rising 33 spots this week to #66.
- Music fans on TikTok are a loyal bunch–if an artist has one hit on the platform, fans will constantly be on the lookout for their next hit. In recent weeks, a few TikTok favorites have resurfaced with new trending songs. The artist responsible for TikTok’s #1 song of 2020, Jason Derulo is trending once again for his Adam Levine collab “Lifestyle” (77k creations), which inspires TikTok users to reveal their lifestyle aspirations and has been heavily and creatively promoted by Derulo himself. Meanwhile, “Stupid” hitmaker Ashnikko has another brash banger on the trending charts–the unapologetically raunchy Princess Nokia collab “Slumber Party” (60k video creations). Last but not least, indie rock group Beach Bunny has a devoted following on the platform after scoring one of TikTok’s first sleeper hits in 2019 with the wistfully catchy “Prom Queen” (265k video creations). The Chicago native band is back on TikTok’s trending charts with “Cloud 9” (45k creations), a romantic power pop jam that’s perfect for indulging in crushes.
- TikTok is full of up-and-coming musicians using the platform to showcase their immense talent. One such instrumentalist is @devilishbri, a brilliant teenage bassist who built up a following of nearly 150k by recording distorted bass covers of songs by Rico Nasty, Grimes, Muse, and many more. In recent weeks, Bri has been trying to get reacquainted with the guitar so she can more easily write songs of her own. When she’s not shredding on her stringed instruments, Bri takes the time to engage with the latest dance trends and continue her search for the real Santa Claus.
TikTok’s influence has caused a seismic change in the way the music industry does business. During next week’s SXSW, members of the TikTok team will discuss how the platform changed the industry, and how it affects the music itself. Next Thursday, March 18th at 4pm ET, Ole Obermann, TIkTok’s Global Head of Music will sit down with Fleetwood Mac drummer and viral star Mick Fleetwood for “Going Viral: In Your Dreams,” a conversation where they’ll talk music, technology, discovering talent, and more. William Gruger, TikTok’s Music Editorial Lead, will also host the “TikTok Music Curators Round Table,” a wide-ranging discussion with respected TikTok users like Blu DeTiger, SongPsych’s Devon Schmalz, and others.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry
On TikTok: Lil Nas X Brings “Holiday” Cheer, Shawn Mendes Welcomes Us to His World & More
Run-DMC, MGMT, and More Noteworthy TikTok Stories
Billie Eilish and Queen Join the Party, New Viral Hits Take Flight, and More From the World of TikTok
Ariana Grande, Rick Astley and More TikTok Stories
Elton John, Tim Burton, Liam Payne and More Add Some Pumpkin Spice to the Week in TikTok
John Lennon, Oasis, George Michael, and More Score Trending Hits on TikTok
Stevie Nicks, Jason Derulo, and More Highlight a Big TikTok Week
Now Here You Go Again, You Say You Want Your TikToks
Pop Smoke, 24kGoldn, Flo Milli, and Others Have Scored Multiple TikTok Hits
TikTok Salutes Its #FamiliaLatina: Music Stories from Latinx Heritage Month
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth