TikTok Treats, Week of March 1st
The TikTok Community Celebrates Bobby Shmurda’s Return Home as Multiple Trending Songs Hit the Billboard Hot 100
TikTok is a major of music culture, capable of taking an unknown song to the Billboard charts. The platform relies upon a give-and-take between artists and the community–the artists engaging with their fans, and the fans responding by using their creative energy to re-interpret the music that inspires them. Below, find some ways music sparked creativity in the TikTok community in recent weeks:
- New York rapper Bobby Shmurda finished a bid in prison last week, and TikTok was ready to roll out the red carpet. The 26-year-old rapper created a TikTok account shortly after coming home, quickly racking up over 260k followers, and posting videos of highlights from his first week as a free man, including the moment when he first saw his Gold and Platinum plaques. Shmurda’s return inspired a viral moment on the platform for his signature hit “Hot N****,” generating over 50k video creations, as TikTok users celebrated his freedom by doing the Shmoney Dance or creating an animation of Bobby’s hat from the song’s music video.
- Last month, Grammy-nominated electronic music producer KAYTRANADA previewed a cool, disco track titled “Caution” as part of TikTok’s Black History Month celebration. Though Black History Month has come to an end, the success of the song seems to just be beginning. TikTok users have fully embraced the song since its release, propelling it to over 264k creations. The song’s eclectic, yet smooth vibe makes it the perfect background music for a a variety of creative tutorials, ranging from custom Nike art to the iconic “curtain” haircut, and has even provided the soundtrack for adorable toddler Spanish lessons and low-carb pizza recipes.
- With over 1.7 million followers, rising rapper Coi Leray is a TikTok favorite and an active user of the platform, using TikTok to partake in viral dance trends, goof around with friends, show her support for Britney Spears, and more. In early January, Coi dropped her most popular video yet when she shared a snippet of herself and some friends dancing to a moody, piano-laden song, generating over 3.9 million views. Inspired by the fan response, Coi shared “No More Parties” one week later, making an instant splash on streaming and on TikTok, where it has soundtracked over 292k video creations (and 88k more on a slowed version), including delicious pasta recipes, family dances, and more. Propelled in part by its TikTok success, which helped lead to a remix featuring Lil Durk, “No More Parties” jumped 38 spots to reach #32 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- The TikTok community loves a good chill vibe, and R&B singer Kali Uchis was happy to oblige with her melodic, Spanish language track “telepatía.” The bilingual hit has racked up over 391k creations on the platform, with some creators using the track to show off their baked goods, banana boba tea, and amazing zodiac sign-inspired body makeup. Fully embracing all of the love the song has been receiving, Kali Uchis even took to her own page to discuss the spiritual meaning behind the therapeutic track. This week, “telepatía” entered the Billboard Hot 100 at #54, earning Kali Uchis her first Hot 100 hit as a lead artist.
- The top-trending song on TikTok this week is “Batman” (430k creations and rising on two sounds) a nostalgic track from rising Orlando rapper LPB Poody. Sampling the 2009 classic (and popular TikTok hit) “Teach Me How To Dougie” by Cali Swag District, “Batman” took off after prolific creator and erstwhile Starbucks employee @karaleighcannella choreographed an expressive dance to the song, which drew the attention of influencers like James Charles. Responding to Poody’s line “she told me to recline so I had to let back the seats,” the entries to the dance challenge have evolved into a contest to see who can lean back the furthest while still remaining on their two feet.
- Another week, another hit TikTok helped revitalize. This week, the trending song is “Astronaut In The Ocean,” a moody and melodic song that Australian rapper Masked Wolf originally released in 2018. Steadily trending since fall 2020, “Astronaut In The Ocean” struck a chord with TikTok users, inspiring nearly 800k video creations across multiple sounds. The song has been a go-to for any creator looking to show off an awesome feat of skill (whether by human or panther), ranging from amazing soccer goals to off-road driving and martial arts. The song’s TikTok success helped Masked Wolf land a deal with Elektra Records, and the song recently reached #62 on the Billboard Hot 100.
After helping propel the first number one hit of 2021 to the top of the charts (Olivia Rodrigo’s “Driver’s License,” which remains on top), TikTok-trending songs have been a constant presence in the culture. Though some TikTok-trending songs that reach the charts might not be conventional pop hits, it is no longer a novelty to see a song by a new artist climbing to prominence. As usual, the best way to keep an eye on rising hits and artists is to keep scrolling down your For You page.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Andrea Higgins, Erin Ryan, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry
On TikTok: Lil Nas X Brings “Holiday” Cheer, Shawn Mendes Welcomes Us to His World & More
Run-DMC, MGMT, and More Noteworthy TikTok Stories
Billie Eilish and Queen Join the Party, New Viral Hits Take Flight, and More From the World of TikTok
Ariana Grande, Rick Astley and More TikTok Stories
Elton John, Tim Burton, Liam Payne and More Add Some Pumpkin Spice to the Week in TikTok
John Lennon, Oasis, George Michael, and More Score Trending Hits on TikTok
Stevie Nicks, Jason Derulo, and More Highlight a Big TikTok Week
Now Here You Go Again, You Say You Want Your TikToks
Pop Smoke, 24kGoldn, Flo Milli, and Others Have Scored Multiple TikTok Hits
TikTok Salutes Its #FamiliaLatina: Music Stories from Latinx Heritage Month
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth