TikTok Treats, Week of January 18th
Buzzing Rappers, Internet Drama, Mashups, and More Interesting Stories From the World of TikTok
TikTok excels at amplifying talent of all stripes. Whether you’re an expert cook, or flawless make-up artist, or gifted comedian, TikTok provides access to an audience eager to share their latest discovery. Music is the glue that connects TikTok’s disparate threads, providing a through-line between individuals and communities bringing their own spin to the latest trend. Check out some interesting ways music formed connections on the app this week:
- TikTok reasserted its power as a tastemaker with the first new number one hit of 2021. In the past week, Olivia Rodrigo’s touching ballad “driver’s license” bubbled up from TikTok to take over the music world. Unsurprisingly, “driver’s license” is the top trending song on TikTok (750k video creations since January 8th), inspiring thematically appropriate artwork, comedy sketches, and dramatic dance routines (Charli D’Amelio’s version generated over 29 million video views). The song’s TikTok success led to massive success across the board. After setting a single-day record for most Spotify streams for a song, “driver’s license” debuted atop the Billboard Hot 100.
- Buzzing Georgia rapper Yung Baby Tate has a TikTok hit on her hands with “I Am,” a self-esteem boosting banger featuring fellow TikTok fave Flo Milli. The song’s aspirational chorus (“I am healthy/I am wealthy/I am rich/I am that b*tch”) has been adopted by many people on TikTok as a daily affirmation, a sign of celebration, and a confidence-inspiring mantra, generating more than 73k video creations in recent months. Yung Baby Tate has been eagerly encouraging the trend, duetting her favorite videos and creating a group dance for the song with her friends. Meanwhile, guest artist Flo Milli’s verse on $NOT’s “Mean” is one of TikTok’s most popular sounds, generating over 40k videos per day (over 550k total).
- Another rap hit on the rise is “Beat Box 2,” a thunderous trap track from Florida up-and-comer Spotemgottem. The song is at the center of a mock-aggressive, “come at me, bro” kind of challenge, where users try to make their friends, significant others, or dads flinch at a key moment of the song (it’s probably not a good idea to try this challenge with your dad). With over 430k video creations, “Beat Box 2” has earned influential fans, with both Tyler, The Creator and NLE Choppa dancing to the song in the past week.
- The TikTok community has diverse musical tastes, but a good and unexpected mashup can unite users of all sensibilities. In early December, self-proclaimed “Mashup Messiah” DJ Cummerbund shared “Shaxicula,” a new mix that seamlessly blends offbeat new wave (“Love Shack” by the B-52s), sultry electro pop (Britney Spears’ “Toxic), and industrial horror metal (Rob Zombie’s “Dragula”). The mix has become a big TikTok hit (over 400k views), spurred by an exuberantly stiff new dance that thrills, amuses, and confuses in equal measure.
- The Brazilian Netflix series Sintonia is relatively unknown in the states, but “Funk Da Netflix,” a song from the show, is making waves on TikTok. Created by MC Fioti with help from electronic duo TrapKillaz, “Funk Da Netflix” translates Netflix’s signature “Ta-dum” sound into a funk carioca jam. The bass-heavy remix has more than 400k video creations on TikTok, fueled by a jerking, rag doll dance trend that equally suits nosy parents and über-athletic synchronized swimmers. The true winner of the “Funk Da Netflix” trend, however is former So You Think You Can Dance winner @bailrok, who dances to the song in outfits inspired by his favorite Netflix shows. The dancer recently released the animé-themed sixth part of his “Funk Da Netflix” series, after earning over 35 million video views on the first five.
- Montreal singer Lubalin is making waves on TikTok with his creative musical interpretations of random internet drama. The singer’s moody arrangement and expressive reenactment of an absurd Facebook Marketplace interaction caught fire, generating over 30 million views and inspiring over 19k video creations that use its sound. Inspired by the rapturous reception of the video, Lubalin continued to indulge his fondness for “Turning Random Internet Drama Into Songs,” creating riveting and hilarious chapters about broccoli theft and a pressing need for butter.
TikTok demonstrated the ability to mint new stars and propel hits up the charts in 2020, but there are hints that TikTok will be even more influential in the New Year. Powered by the TikTok community, Olivia Rodrigo’s “driver’s license” smashed records set by much more established artists, and became the youngest artist to ever debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. A deeper dive reveals a diverse wealth of hits, ranging from conventional to bizarre, each capable of crossing over and making a mainstream splash.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry
On TikTok: Lil Nas X Brings “Holiday” Cheer, Shawn Mendes Welcomes Us to His World & More
Run-DMC, MGMT, and More Noteworthy TikTok Stories
Billie Eilish and Queen Join the Party, New Viral Hits Take Flight, and More From the World of TikTok
Ariana Grande, Rick Astley and More TikTok Stories
Elton John, Tim Burton, Liam Payne and More Add Some Pumpkin Spice to the Week in TikTok
John Lennon, Oasis, George Michael, and More Score Trending Hits on TikTok
Stevie Nicks, Jason Derulo, and More Highlight a Big TikTok Week
Now Here You Go Again, You Say You Want Your TikToks
Pop Smoke, 24kGoldn, Flo Milli, and Others Have Scored Multiple TikTok Hits
TikTok Salutes Its #FamiliaLatina: Music Stories from Latinx Heritage Month
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth