TikTok Treats, Week Of October 19th
Legacy Artists, Former Disney Stars, and More Score Trending Hits on TikTok
TikTok’s emphasis on viral trends can help a song explode in popularity, but it’s the app’s ability to redefine a song’s context that makes it succeed as a music discovery platform. Freed from the limitations of radio, a viral song on TikTok can come from any year, any genre, or any artist. Following the example of previous successes like Fleetwood Mac, labels are quickly discovering that TikTok can bolster their catalog just as much as it can help baby artists. Below, take a look at a few examples of legacy artists taking advantage of TikTok (with some newer stories mixed in):
- Never ones to look back in anger, Oasis provided a dose of ’90s nostalgia with a new trend in support of the 25th birthday of their best-selling album (What’s The Story) Morning Glory. Encouraging fans to make videos to the tune of their iconic anthem “Wonderwall,” Oasis kicked off the #ThrowItBack challenge, daring TikTok users to show off their favorite looks from the decade of AOL and “The Rachel.” With over 1 billion views on the hashtag, the #ThrowItBack challenge inspired men, women, and dachshunds to dig their favorite flannels and more out of their closets.
- Earlier this month, TikTok and the John Lennon estate teamed up to celebrate the music icon’s 80th birthday by creating an account dedicated to his memory and making some of his biggest solo hits available as TikTok Sounds. One of Lennon’s prettiest songs, the 1980 hit “Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy),” has blossomed into a trending TikTok hit. Marked by a gorgeous piano melody and Lennon’s floating tenor, “Beautiful Boy” proves to be the ideal soundtrack for wholesome experiences, including welcoming new puppies, helping a squirrel escape a sneaker store, or showing off your favorite web comics about the LGBTQIA experience.
- Continuing a big month for UK music icons on the platform, George Michael’s estate established a TikTok account in memory of the late hitmaker. Launched to celebrate the 30th anniversary of “Freedom 90,” the account includes archival footage of interviews, performances and video excerpts reimagined for TikTok’s community. Created to celebrate the pop legend’s amazing career, it’s only a matter of time before the @GeorgeMichaelOfficial TikTok account helps spur one of his hits–”Careless Whisper“? “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go?“–to a viral resurgence.
- Another week, and another excellent Miley Cyrus cover is trending on TikTok. In the past week, the “MAIN CHARACTER CHALLENGE” has taken TikTok by storm, soundtracked by Miley’s passionate cover of “Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High?” by Arctic Monkeys. Started by @jonysios, who emulated Miley’s outfit during her viral performance of Blondie’s “Heart of Glass,” the #MainCharacterChallenge encourages TikTok users to transform from their ordinary selves to their “main character” at the moment that Miley’s piercing vocal hits. With over 163k video creations since the beginning of the month, Miley’s vocal has inspired users to embrace #AltRocktober and show off their inner diva.
- Miley Cyrus isn’t the only former Disney star to trend on TikTok this week: pop duo Aly & AJ are experiencing their own resurgence on the app. A new trend set to their 2007 hit “Potential Breakup Song” allows users to show off their finest outfits and their video editing skills. The trend has evolved into a group lip-syncing challenge, as head-bopping moms, Baltimore Orioles players, and even Spongebob characters get their groove on.
- As the producer of massive TikTok hit and Billboard success “Old Town Road,” YoungKio knows a thing or two about viral success. In recent days, another of his productions has started to make waves on the platform: “Papi Chulo,” a collaboration between UK stars Octavian and Skepta. With over 232k video creations, the flirty, Latin-inflected rap song has soundtracked hair videos, cooking tutorials, and a series of videos by the tag team of @oscywinter and @lilcheesey, who have racked up millions of views on clips using the song.
As TikTok hits continue to climb up charts, including this week’s new #1 “Mood” by 24kGoldn ft. iann dior, artists and their teams are taking steps to increase artists’ profiles on the platform. A well-curated account serves to show fans a different side of an artist’s personality, or can act as a tribute or memorial to legacy acts. And though it may seem that TikTok hits come out of nowhere, most are products of in-app promotion and behind-the-scenes hustle. Keep checking the “For You” page for a sneak peek at tomorrow’s next sensation.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Andrea Higgins, Erin Ryan, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Stevie Nicks, Jason Derulo, and More Highlight a Big TikTok Week
Now Here You Go Again, You Say You Want Your TikToks
Pop Smoke, 24kGoldn, Flo Milli, and Others Have Scored Multiple TikTok Hits
TikTok Salutes Its #FamiliaLatina: Music Stories from Latinx Heritage Month
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth