TikTok Treats, Week of April 4th
Melanie Martinez Stares Into the “VOID,” Luke Combs Covers “Fast Car,” a Florida Rap Duo Inspires a Cascade of Selfies, and More TikTok Trends
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Check out this week’s trends below:
- TikTok remains a safe space for creators to chronicle their journey to self-confidence. Alt-pop phenomenon Melanie Martinez has recently been providing the soundtrack for creators to do this with her new single “VOID” (77K+ creations). Backed by the lyrics “I hate who I was before,” creators reveal their newfound confidence since embracing their colorful, rockstar-inspired look or cutting their hair. Other creations find Melanie’s fans showing love to her new aesthetic and music as well as exclaiming how they’re making her new album their whole personality. Melanie is engaging with “VOID” on her account, flaunting her new look and sharing her excitement for her new self-written and self-produced single. Powered in part by the success of “VOID,” Melanie’s new album Portals is expected to debut at #2 on the Billboard 200.
- GOLD-certified rapper-producer duo DJ Scheme and Danny Towers have been bringing the heat alongside fellow homestate natives Ski Mask The Slump God and Luh Tyler with their recent single “Florida Water.” The hard-hitting posse cut inspired a photo dump trend where creators drop the hottest selfies in their Photos app as the beat drops and Danny’s infectious hook, “Threw him in that water, I’m from Florida, but my wrist Cuban,” gives way to Luh Tyler’s croaking verse. The trend caught fire last week, helping “Florida Water” become the #3 trending song on TikTok after racking up over 72k creations. The duo is no stranger to TikTok success, as their 2019 hit “How You Feel? (Freestyle)” notched over 242k total creations. DJ Scheme hopped on the trend himself last week, and while he tried to get his partner involved, Danny was too busy sleeping to take part.
- In 1988, folk singer Tracy Chapman inspired the world to drive, drive away from their dreary lives with her escapist fantasy “Fast Car.” Now 35 years later, country superstar and TikTok community favorite Luke Combs is trending on the platform with his own emotional version of the classic. With over 28k creations so far, Combs’s cover is the center of multiple emotional text-on-screen trends: one trend finds parents reminiscing about how much their children have grown–into high school athletes, or parents themselves–and wondering where the time went. In another trend, creators reveal some “small things that aren’t small to me.” Many music lovers on the platform find themselves thinking about how their age changed the way they understand the deep meaning of Chapman’s lyrics, or celebrating that there’s a great new version of their favorite song.
- TikTok’s #Rompiendo program highlights the success and impact of Latin music and artists on TikTok, and provides some of the most vital artists with the opportunity to share their voices with the TikTok community even more. The latest artist to get the #Rompiendo spotlight is Young Miko, the rapidly rising Puerto Rican superstar. The 24-year-old rapper/singer loves to post on TikTok and entertain her 1.4 million followers, using her account to rap along to her music, to bask in the glory of her recent performance with Karol G, and take the place of the Mona Lisa. After striking TikTok gold with her hit “Lisa” (293k video creations), Miko is back on the trending charts with “Classy 101,” her new collaboration with Feid, which generated over 3.7k video creations since its release last Friday. Now under the #Rompiendo spotlight, Miko is primed to continue her rise on TikTok and beyond.
- Rising Atlanta rapper Bktherula is at the center of a dance trend sweeping through friend groups across the nation. Using two of her songs, this year’s “UH HUH” (46.6k creations) and 2019’s “Tweakin Together” (40k creations), Bk’s euphoric and “zesty” rap music inspires fans to lose their faculties, as one by one they succumb to her easygoing sway. The “Tweakin Together” trend is spreading rapidly through college locker rooms–Texas basketball and Fresno St. football have hit the trend–while “UH HUH” inspires creators to raise their “zest” levels to 100.
Visit TikTok’s Newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Annjie Houston, Destiny Riley, T’Keyah Hayes, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
TikTok Trends Assemble: Fresh x Reckless, Taylor Swift & Much More
Madonna, Brent Faiyaz, Destroy Lonely & More from Music on TikTok
On TikTok: De La, Bieber, Tank & The Bangas, and More
On TikTok: The “Buddy Holly” Lick, Dogg Transformations, and More
RiRi Returns, Superstar Pride Shines, and TikTok Trends That Prove
On TikTok: Skrillex & Fred Again.., Philly Club, and New Trends From Rising Artists
Grammy Winners, Mariah’s “Wrap,” “Mrs. Right,” and more
Celine Brings It All Back, Tech N9ne Celebrates the Chiefs, Plus More TikTok Music Stories
Pink Floyd’s New Great Gig, PARTYNEXTDOOR’s Sped Up Makeover, & More on TikTok
Miley and Shakira Get Petty, Miguel’s “Sure Thing” Revival, and More TikTok Music Stories
TikTok Welcomes 2023 with Timbaland Jams, K-Pop Bangers, and Multilingual Raps
Music on TikTok: 21 Savage, Mark Ronson & Amy Winehouse, and Ice Spice Headline a Star-Studded Week of Trends
SZA’s ‘SOS’ Signal, Coi and Busta Mash Up, Plus More TikTok Trends to Close Out 2022
Metro & The Weeknd, Lady Gaga, Baile Funk and More TikTok Trends to Warm Up The Winter
2022 For You: TikTok’s Top Songs, Artists, and Music Stories of 2022
Blink 182, Lil Yachty, Cardi & GloRilla, and More from Music On TikTok
Taylor Track Reveals, Sam Smith + Kim Petras, and More From Music on TikTok
BLACKPINK, Steve Lacy, and The Smashing Pumpkins Lead a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
On TikTok: ‘Yonce, Yeat, Lizzo, SZA and More
TikTok’s 2021 Music Report: Key Takeaways
TikTok Reveals Top Songs of 2021, Incl. Doja Cat, Coi Leray and More