TikTok Treats, Week of March 20th
Fresh X Reckless Score a Hit With “Blicky,” Kali Uchis Basks in the “Moonlight,” Plus More From the World of Music on TikTok
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Check out this week’s trends below:
- Snoop Dogg made a splash last month when he announced the Death Row catalog would be available on TikTok. Now, the crown jewel of that legendary label’s catalog, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg’s “Nuthin But A G’Thang,” is having a major moment on TikTok. With over 111k video creations to date, the ultimate West Coast anthem delivers the perfect vibe whether creators are exploring the ocean looking for microscopic life, cooking mouth-watering queso tacos , spending 24 action-packed hours in Los Angeles, or getting ready for a Snoop Dogg concert. Meanwhile, Snoop Dogg has remained active on TikTok, showing off his makeshift sports bar setup and celebrating the re-release of the Death Row catalog to streaming services.
- The TikTok community loves a good glow up trend and Kali Uchis’ new psychedelic R&B bop “Moonlight” is the perfect song to soundtrack the newest one. While some of the 49.7K creations under the sound find creators revealing their new taste in glamor since they started listening to Kali’s music, others find creators humorously manifesting a Kali-inspired makeover for themselves or showing off their artsy lava lamp aquarium nails. On her own account, Kali began teasing the song at the end of 2022 and, now, she uses the sound to banter with her fans about promoting her music.
- TikTok continues to be a platform for international artists to connect with fans around the world through fun trends. K-Pop girl group TWICE has the TikTok community in the mood for advanced choreography and fancams with their single, “Set Me Free.” Earning over 50.5K creations in less than a month of its release, “Set Me Free” soundtracks creators’ fancams of their favorite TWICE members and reviews of the members’ outfits from previous performances. Doing their part to keep the sound trending on the platform with the #SetMeFree challenge (442.9M+ views), each member of TWICE shared individual videos of themselves doing choreography from the official music video, along with the assistance of a fellow K-Pop star from Monsta X. Creators also try their hand at the challenge, with some using the dance to announce their pregnancy. Backed by the support of TikTok’s K-Pop community, “Set Me Free” boasts over 11 million Spotify streams and 46 million views on its music video.
- New Orleans rap duo Fresh X Reckless has creators showing off their skills with their upbeat banger, “Blicky.” Boasting 477.2K+ creations, the auto-tuned bop finds creators repurposing choreography by creator @amour.jordynn with a twist – instead of doing the full dance routine, creators stop abruptly and do their best impressions of Fresh X Reckless’ signature pose. Creators show off their moves in the classroom, at the arcade, and at home with the assistance of their siblings. Best known for their playful performances, Fresh X Reckless also kept the trend going on their TikTok, sharing behind-the-scenes footage of the official music video, linking up with Fivio Foreign to jam out to “Blicky,” and reacting to creators’ videos using the duet feature. Thanks to a boost from the TikTok community, “Blicky” earned a top ten spot on Spotify’s USA Viral 50 chart.
- A bonafide pop hitmaker and TikTok favorite, Meghan Trainor is back again to let her fans know her real name: “Mother.” With over 120.8K creations, the sound is bringing all the moms out and inspiring a dance trend choreographed by @brookieandjessie. The bubbly song soundtracks creations from moms who attempt the dance trend as their little one records or want their baby to be born on the perfect numerical date in March. Meghan is having a blast with the sound, as she gushes about having Kris Jenner in the music video, jokes about her unborn baby kicking her at night, and even thanks the dance trend creators for flying out to Australia to teach her the viral dance.
Taylor Swift recently embarked upon her “Eras Tour,” a nationwide tour that presents an eye-catching presentation of songs that span her career. As the home of #SwiftTok (18.3 billion views) and a place where Taylor’s biggest fans love to talk about their fave, TikTok has worked with Taylor to establish the “Eras Tour” Hub. When fans on TikTok search for topics the “Eras Tour,” they are presented with a special landing page that collects videos from the concerts, allows fans to share their own experiences with the tour, and redirects to Taylor’s official “Eras Tour” merch store through a special banner. Following similar hubs for Super Bowl LVI, the 95th Annual Academy Awards, and the release of Taylor’s Midnights, the “Eras Tour Hub” provides a communal space to celebrate one of the year’s biggest cultural moments.
Visit TikTok’s Newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Annjie Houston, Destiny Riley, T’Keyah Hayes, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Madonna, Brent Faiyaz, Destroy Lonely & More from Music on TikTok
On TikTok: De La, Bieber, Tank & The Bangas, and More
On TikTok: The “Buddy Holly” Lick, Dogg Transformations, and More
RiRi Returns, Superstar Pride Shines, and TikTok Trends That Prove
On TikTok: Skrillex & Fred Again.., Philly Club, and New Trends From Rising Artists
Grammy Winners, Mariah’s “Wrap,” “Mrs. Right,” and more
Celine Brings It All Back, Tech N9ne Celebrates the Chiefs, Plus More TikTok Music Stories
Pink Floyd’s New Great Gig, PARTYNEXTDOOR’s Sped Up Makeover, & More on TikTok
Miley and Shakira Get Petty, Miguel’s “Sure Thing” Revival, and More TikTok Music Stories
TikTok Welcomes 2023 with Timbaland Jams, K-Pop Bangers, and Multilingual Raps
Music on TikTok: 21 Savage, Mark Ronson & Amy Winehouse, and Ice Spice Headline a Star-Studded Week of Trends
SZA’s ‘SOS’ Signal, Coi and Busta Mash Up, Plus More TikTok Trends to Close Out 2022
Metro & The Weeknd, Lady Gaga, Baile Funk and More TikTok Trends to Warm Up The Winter
2022 For You: TikTok’s Top Songs, Artists, and Music Stories of 2022
Blink 182, Lil Yachty, Cardi & GloRilla, and More from Music On TikTok
Taylor Track Reveals, Sam Smith + Kim Petras, and More From Music on TikTok
BLACKPINK, Steve Lacy, and The Smashing Pumpkins Lead a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
On TikTok: ‘Yonce, Yeat, Lizzo, SZA and More
TikTok’s 2021 Music Report: Key Takeaways
TikTok Reveals Top Songs of 2021, Incl. Doja Cat, Coi Leray and More