TikTok Treats, Week of January 30th
A New Super Bowl Anthem, a Classic Power Ballad, and Yet Another Trending Ice Spice Single Headline the Week in Music on TikTok
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Check out this week’s trends and moments below: :
- Global icon and vocal powerhouse Celine Dion has been blessing fans on TikTok with clips of some of her most iconic performances and behind the scenes clips of her recording some of her biggest hits. Creators on TikTok are latching onto one of her biggest power ballads of the 90s, “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now” (167K+ total creations), gushing over their heartthrob actor crushes that they’ve been loving since their earlier days of stardom and still love today. From Denzel Washington and Chad Michael Murray to Miles Teller and Jesse Williams, creators prove that there’s a plethora of actor heartthrobs to thirst over. Some even use the sound to reveal their love for Lunchables evolving into their love for charcuterie boards. Actor Jaime Camil took to his own account to react to his favorite creation under this sound – one in which he’s the center of heartthrob appreciation.
- Bronx rapper and TikTok’s 2023 Visionary Voices honoree Ice Spice has become a favorite of the community, rising to stardom with her TikTok-trending breakout hit, “Munch (Feelin’ U)” (583.5K+ creations). Continuing her run of catchy bangers and affirming catchphrases, following trending singles “Bikini Bottom” (144.2K+ total creations) and “In Ha Mood” (349.4K+ total creations), Ice Spice adds another hit track to her arsenal with the Lil Tjay-assisted “Gangsta Boo.” Boasting over 21.9K total creations, the Diddy-sampling track soundtracks creators’ makeup transformations, thrift shop finds, and daily vlogs. Justine Skye and Lil Tjay did their part to keep the sound trending by using the sounds on their TikTok pages. Ice Spice helped build anticipation for the song by teasing a snippet on her own page prior to its official release in late January. Backed by the support of TIkTok, “Gangsta Boo” garnered 5M+ Spotify streams and earned a spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, becoming Ice’s first-ever Hot 100 entry.
- In the latest installment of sped-up songs taking over TikTok, creators are loving UK singer-songwriter George Ezra’s “Green Green Grass (Sped-Up),” generating over over 1.2M creations for the remixed version of the song. The song soundtracks a fun, high-energy trend in which family members disclose their ages by displaying the year they were born as they put their moves to the test together with a lively dance. The sound is perfect for families with an adorable toddler, moms who love their future son-in-law, and sister bestie duos. George Ezra is having fun with the sound, joking about the dancers in the music video not getting the trending dance right and admitting that he’s still learning about the phenomenon of sped up songs.
- The TikTok community excels at coming up with universal dances that fit almost any song. Continuing a “majorette”-style trend that helped propel songs by J.K. Mac and PARTYNEXTDOOR to trending stats, creators continue to show off their majorette skills using DJ Drama’s “Ain’t No Way Around It” ft. Future, Big Boi, and Young Jeezy. Garnering over 100.4K total creations, the Mike WiLL Made It-produced song finds creators repurposing a routine choreographed by creator @amour.jordynn. Fans of the hard-hitting 2011 song show off their moves in the locker room with their friends, dance with their dads, and hilariously depict how Michael Jackson would’ve added his own flair to the dance. DJ Drama also interacted with the sound on his TikTok, using it to soundtrack his boxing-themed photoshoot.
- The Kansas City Chiefs won the AFC Championship last weekend, and now fans on TikTok turn to a beloved KC anthem to celebrate their team’s Super Bowl run. KC’s own Tech N9ne’s “Red Kingdom” (289k creations) is receiving a TikTok boost, led by Tech N9ne himself. Leading up to the game, Tech made hype videos and paid visits to Arrowhead Stadium, encouraging fans to show their support by using his song in their videos. After Patrick Mahomes led the team to a thrilling victory, Tech highlighted some of his favorite Chiefs-themed videos from fellow fans and adorable pets.
- Tyler Childers and his downhome country sound have become TikTok favorites over the past year. Hot on the heels of his trending hit “All Your’n” (44k creations, plus 230k creations on the sped up remix), Childers is having another trending moment with “Whitehouse Road” (28.2k creations). The twangy and braggadocious 2017 song soundtracks clips of cowboy hat fittings, swims in alligator-infested waters, all-day hunting trips, and other rustic activities. Meanwhile, Childers, who recently shaved his long beard, continues to be active on TikTok, posting clips of live performances, exclusive cover songs, and saluting other artists who’ve covered his songs.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Annjie Houston, Destiny Riley, T’Keyah Hayes, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Miley and Shakira Get Petty, Miguel’s “Sure Thing” Revival, and More TikTok Music Stories
Blink 182, Lil Yachty, Cardi & GloRilla, and More from Music On TikTok
Taylor Track Reveals, Sam Smith + Kim Petras, and More From Music on TikTok
Omar Apollo, The Throne, and More TikTok Trends to Watch This Week
BLACKPINK, Steve Lacy, and The Smashing Pumpkins Lead a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
On TikTok: ‘Yonce, Yeat, Lizzo, SZA and More
Britney & Elton, Snoop Dogg & Ice Spice Lead This Week’s TikTok Trends
Latin Pop, Celebrity Nemeses, and More From TikTok Music
Teenage Dirtbags and Super Freaks Take Over on TikTok
On TikTok: Beyoncé Strikes Back, Rosalía Returns, and More
“BILLIE EILISH,” Oklahoma Smokeshows, and K. Michelle Heat Up on TikTok
Rising Stars, Latin Pop Queens, and More From Music on TikTok
Step 1: Beyoncé, Ryan Tedder, Steve Lacy, & More on TikTok
Metallica, Flo Milli, Avril Lavigne, and More From Music on TikTok
Drake Feels No Ways, Doja Channels Elvis, and More from Music on TikTok
Gorillaz, John Legend, JOJI, and More TikTok Treats
ABBA and Radiohead Trend, Tate McRae Drops a New Video, and More from Music on TikTok
Highway to the Nostalgia Zone: the ‘80s Are Back on TikTok
Harry, Kendrick, and Kate Bush Highlight a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
This Newsletter Doesn’t Jiggle Jiggle, It Reports on the Biggest Music Moments on TikTok
On TikTok: Bad Bunny, Kendrick Lamar, and Suki Waterhouse Make Waves
Justin Gets “Honest,” PSY Returns, and More TikTok Stories
Moon Knight, Skillibeng, and More From a Leveled Up Week For Music on TikTok
On TikTok: Lizzo Returns, Ambitious Creators Show Off Their Skills, and More
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
TikTok’s 2021 Music Report: Key Takeaways
TikTok Reveals Top Songs of 2021, Incl. Doja Cat, Coi Leray and More