TikTok Treats, Week of August 1st
Zach Bryan Continues His Rise to Country Stardom, Armani White Celebrates a TikTok Favorite, K. Michelle Inspires Fans to Let It All Out, and More TikTok Music Stories
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. TikTok allows for a diverse ecosystem of music to thrive, hosting a community passionate about discovering music of all genres. In recent days, fans on TikTok helped elevate a country love song, an R&B tearjerker, and an amped-up rap banger to trending status. Check out the stories behind those songs and more trends that defined this week on TikTok:
- A Navy veteran with a penchant for tugging on heartstrings, Zach Bryan has been one of the biggest breakout stars in Country music this year. His heart-wrenching single “Something In The Orange” reached a #30 peak on the Billboard Hot 100, aided in part by its success on TikTok (nearly 30k total video creations). Now, the Warner Records-signed artist is trending on TikTok once again, with his song “Oklahoma Smokeshow,” a song that inspires fans from all states to strut their stuff. The song has over 17k creations, many of which coming in the past week, including a humorous clip from Mason Ramsey. Meanwhile, Zach Bryan continues to make TikToks for his nearly 1 million followers. He shows off his performance chops, shares snippets of new songs, and creates comedy sketches about life on the road.
- Rising Philadelphia rapper Armani White is having a major moment on TikTok with his high-energy track “BILLIE EILISH.” Named after acclaimed singer-songwriter and TikTok favorite Billie Eilish, the track has garnered over 147.7K creations and sparked a trend in which creators, including Armani himself, use video transitions to flaunt their style. Recently on the platform, the booming track has kicked off a new, more humorous trend in which creators use the “Face Ratio” filter to transform their face. While some creators barely see a change, others hilariously realize they may look like Pixar’s beloved Ice Age character Sid the Sloth. The energetic song has also been a go-to soundtrack for athletes and skaters to show off their skills. Armani White, who actively engages on the platform, teased the track earlier this year and, due to its success on the platform and beyond (33 million Spotify streams and counting), recently signed a deal with Def Jam Records.
- Singer-songwriter Jax has built a reputation and a large following on TikTok with her humorous and relatable songs. This summer, she’s struck again with “Victoria’s Secret,” a clever song about body positivity and societal beauty standards. Since she shared the song on June 30, the song generated over 20k video creations, and Jax’s follower count has grown by over 450k. Last week, Jax organized a flash mob outside of a Victoria’s Secret store and posted the results on TikTok–the video of the flash mob has over 23 million views. This week, the song overtook Kate Bush to become the top song on the iTunes all-genre charts.
- Though fans on TikTok show their love of music in many different ways, the TikTok community always has time for a fun dance trend. The newest one sweeping through the platform in recent weeks is soundtracked by a bouncy remix to Skaiwater’s “eyes” (276K+ creations). Blending emotional lyrics with a club instrumental, the remix inspires creators to put their best foot forward and try out the moves choreographed by creator @redwingnation. Creators are hitting the dance everywhere, from the living room and kitchen to a boat in the Miami waters,. Some creators tap into their inner dance teacher as they put all their energy into trying to teach their family the choreography.
- Creators in the TikTok community often connect with one another through shared experiences, whether they’re good or bad. Drawing inspiration from K. Michelle’s soulful ballad “Cry” (24.4K+ creations), creators take a lighthearted approach as they share their perspectives on their worst IRL experiences. Using K. Michelle’s emphatic lines, “You gon’ suffer, I done took too much of this/You gon’ cry,” creators reflect on their poor dating experiences and wearing painful shoes in the name of fashion. In other recent videos, creators use the song to soundtrack their cooking processes, relationship videos, and workout routines.
- SoundOn artist Katherine Li scored a trending hit on TikTok earlier this summer with her song “Never Had A Chance,” and now, with a new song making waves on the platform, she must be feeling déjà vu. The singer-songwriter started teasing her song “Happening Again” in Early June, with a voice-and-piano performance, telling a story about a recurring love that won’t seem to go away. Since then, the song has generated over 56k video creations, as users offer relationship advice, share ideas for wedding gifts, and update the community on their rescue pups. Katherine Li’s TikTok success is leading to off-platform results–each of her songs, including “Never Had A Chance” and “Happening Again,” have over 2 million streams on Spotify and she’s cultivated an audience of 1.2 million monthly listeners.
- TikTok frequently breathes new life into nostalgic hits, as creators in the community discover and share catalog favorites. Recently, creators gave new context to former America’s Got Talent contestant Alexis Jordan’s 2010 breakout single, “Happiness.” Garnering over 176K+ total creations, the inspirational dance song inspires creators to share some of the things they’re sick of hearing from peers. In recent videos, creators share lists of things to never say to single people, express their distaste about commentary on their height, and reveal negative opinions from teachers about their hair color preferences. In other creations, the catchy song finds creators sharing their healthy salad recipes, documenting their hair journeys, and listing the reasons why they love being single.
Earlier this week, Ticketmaster announced an integration with TikTok that enables users to discover and purchase tickets to various live events–including concerts, sporting events, and comedy shows–directly from TikTok. Whether you’re an artist, sports team, venue or event organizer looking to create awareness of your events or a fan looking to enrich your content by promoting your favorite shows or match-ups, this new mini-app will allow creators to engage with their audience through a clickable ‘Get Tickets’ call-to-action on your videos. The Ticketmaster integration launches as a limited pilot, offered to a number of creators in the US and Canada. Though only those creators will be able to add links to their videos, the videos and the links will be viewable and clickable by TikTok users across the globe. Stay tuned to see how users utilize the new Ticketmaster integration!
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Annjie Houston, Destiny Riley, T’Keyah Hayes, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Rising Stars, Latin Pop Queens, and More From Music on TikTok
Step 1: Beyoncé, Ryan Tedder, Steve Lacy, & More on TikTok
On TikTok: Justin Timberlake, Yeat’s #GentleMinions, and a K-Pop Star Goes Solo
Metallica, Flo Milli, Avril Lavigne, and More From Music on TikTok
Drake Feels No Ways, Doja Channels Elvis, and More from Music on TikTok
Gorillaz, John Legend, JOJI, and More TikTok Treats
ABBA and Radiohead Trend, Tate McRae Drops a New Video, and More from Music on TikTok
Highway to the Nostalgia Zone: the ‘80s Are Back on TikTok
Harry, Kendrick, and Kate Bush Highlight a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
This Newsletter Doesn’t Jiggle Jiggle, It Reports on the Biggest Music Moments on TikTok
On TikTok: Bad Bunny, Kendrick Lamar, and Suki Waterhouse Make Waves
Justin Gets “Honest,” PSY Returns, and More TikTok Stories
Moon Knight, Skillibeng, and More From a Leveled Up Week For Music on TikTok
On TikTok: Lizzo Returns, Ambitious Creators Show Off Their Skills, and More
“First Class” Jack Harlow, Ghanaian Drill, and More TikTok Music Stories
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry