TikTok Treats, Week of September 21st
A Deep Dive Into the World of Latin Music on TikTok Encounters Reggaeton, Merengue, Norteño, and Even Beat Boxing
TikTok offers all users a safe space to creatively celebrate their cultural heritages. During Latinx Heritage Month, TikTok is taking the time to salute its vibrant Latinx community, ranging from megastars like @JLo to trailblazers like @itsnikki.g. Though communities on TikTok are sometimes siloed by language differences, the Latinx community cuts through to all corners of the TikTok globe with their seismic impact on music. Below, examine a small fraction of the ways Latin music and Latinx artists have made their mark on the platform:
- It’s impossible to talk about Latin Music on TikTok without talking about “Kulikitaka Ti” (2003), a rowdy merengue hit from Dominican legend Toño Rosario. The song’s energetic chanting and stop-start rhythms have made “Kulikitaka Ti” a go-to song for TikTok users (and celebrities like Bad Bunny) for over a year, generating over 4 million videos split between multiple sounds. Earlier this year, TikTok couple @ariadna_nick shared a haunting video that featured a signature crab walk dance, inspiring imitations from TikTok users across the globe, who’ve used a similar dance to alternatively show off and startle their poor pets. Notable figures who’ve participated in the #KulikitakaChallenge include Daniel Craig, Spanish footballer Sergio Ramos, Colombian singer Sebastian Yatra, and more.
- Reggaeton queen Karol G is one of the most followed (7.8 million) and most active Latin music stars on TikTok. She’s been particularly active in recent weeks, trying her hand at mega popular trends like “M To The B” trend and “Mi Pan,” showing off the bizarre sleeping positions of her bulldog Goku, and previewing a stripped-down version of her recent hit “Ay, DiOs Mío!” The original version of “Ay, DiOs Mío!” is one of TikTok’s most popular Latin sounds, generating over 2.7 million video creations, including a dance routine popularized by @analisseworld and @justmaiko.
- The latest Latin crowd pleaser to get traction on TikTok is “Espejeando,” a traditional number from norteño collective Los Tucanes De Tijuana. “Espejeando” is a jaunty song for family dances, and it’s inspired a nimble one-legged dance challenge (good for individuals and groups!). The song also provides a great soundtrack for Abuela makeovers and frenzied house cleans. In just one week, “Espejeando” has over 28k video creations and videos with the hashtag #Espejeando have over 4 million views.
- This week, TikTok is hosting a live stream with two of Latin music’s biggest stars: Jennifer Lopez & Maluma. J-Lo is one of TikTok’s most-followed celebrities, with 11 million followers, and in conjunction with her Super Bowl performance earlier this year, she teamed with Charli D’Amelio to launch the #JLoTikTokChallenge (357 million views). On Monday, J-Lo posted a teaser for her upcoming 2-part collaboration with Maluma, “Pa Ti/Lonely,” and the two artists will go live from J-Lo’s account on Thursday to give TikTok users an exclusive look behind the scenes at the making of the video. Tune in at 6pm ET on 9/24 for surprises, easter eggs, and a first look at the video before it premieres on all platforms.
- Global superstar and Latino gang chieftain J Balvin is one of TikTok’s most enthusiastic champions, using the platform to promote songs like “Un Dia” and “Agua,” but also to goof around with helium versions of his hits, or by re-enacting scenes from The Simpsons. His 2018 megahit “Mi Gente” is currently trending, as part of a mashup with “Ven Bailalo” by Reggaeton duo Angel Y Khriz. Originally used in 2018, the sound has proven especially enduring, recently soundtracking one of the top-viewed videos with the #FamiliaLatina tag. The sound starts with the familiar sirens of “Mi Gente,” before slowing down and morphing into honking keyboard arpeggios of “Ven Bailalo.” The mashup provides the perfect soundtrack for that feeling when you’re ready to leave a party, but have to stay for just one more song.
- With over 44.5 million followers and over a billion likes on his videos, beatboxer @SpencerX is one of TikTok’s most unique talents. Selected as a Latinx TikTok Trailblazer, Spencer X can create a universe of sounds with his mouth, a power he uses for good (entertaining and informative beatboxing tutorials) and for evil (devious pranks). Spencer recently engaged in a drum-off with @xxrook, and spurred his recent single “Be Somebody” to over 10k video creations.
TikTok is pulling out all the stops to honor its #FamiliaLatina during Latinx Heritage Month. The company selected 12 influential creators (including @SpencerX) to be TikTok Latinx Trailblazers, and is spotlighting Latinx stars like Luis Fonsi, La La Anthony, Gaby Melian, and more in Sound-Off live streams this month. Posts tagged with the #FamiliaLatina hashtag have generated nearly 200 million views in just one week. TikTok is sponsoring the Hispanic Heritage Award for Vision at this year’s Hispanic Heritage Awards, which will be awarded to Bad Bunny for his groundbreaking music and social activism. To stay up-to-date on happenings during Latinx Heritage Month, follow @TikTokCreators and @TikTokUS on TikTok.
Read more about TikTok’s Latinx Heritage Month initiatives here: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/latinx-heritage-month
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
Click here to read TikTok’s progress report on supporting Black communities and promoting diversity & inclusion: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/progress-report-how-were-supporting-black-communities-and-promoting-diversity-and-inclusion
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Big Sean, Charlie Puth, Classical Harp, and More From TikTok
David Guetta, Sada Baby, and Rick James Are Having a Moment on TikTok
BTS Hits #1, Kendrick Plants Money Trees, and More From TikTok
Dua Lipa Levitates, J. Cole Soundtracks Glow-Ups and More TikTok Stories
TikTok: The “WAP” Dance Challenge, Folklore, La Roux, and More Provide Joy and Catharsis
Charlie Puth, Pop Smoke, and More Trending TikTok Stories
Artists Unite to Say #SaveTikTok
How TikTok Users Use the App to Boost Their Musical Careers
TikTok Doesn’t Just Mint New Hits…It Revives Old Ones
These International TikTok Artists and Hits Eliminate Language Barriers
Who’s Hot on TikTok? Jason DeRulo, Rod Wave, and More
TikTok Success = Chart Success and the Hot 100 Proves It
TikTok Users and Artists Celebrate #MyPride Through Music
TikTok Promotes a Vibrant Artistic Community with #BlackMusicMonth