TikTok Treats, Week of July 25th
Mexican Pop Superstar Thalia Helps TikTok Indulge in Their Mischievous Side, A Eurovision Song Finds Second Life Through a Sped-Up Remix, and More TikTok Music Stories
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week’s hits range from Eurovision favorites, to country anthems, to Latin pop bangers. Take a look at some highlights from TikTok’s rich tapestry of music trends:
- Since being selected as Eurovision’s Armenian contestant in March for her heartfelt song “SNAP,” SoundOn artist Rosa Linn has won the hearts of the TikTok community. The catchy, reflective lyrics “Snapping one, two / Where are you? / You’re still in my heart” have sparked the song’s success on the platform, soundtracking over 50K+ creations in which creators enjoy beautiful sunsets in the ocean, share their English countryside exploration, and demonstrate their morning routines and new recipes. Fans are also loving the “High and Fast” version of “SNAP,” driving it to over 337K creations as they dance in the rain with their significant other, show fun summer hairstyles, and share memories from being a high school student in 1994. Rosa Linn has been excitedly engaging with the sound, revealing her journey from busking to being selected for Eurovision, joking about leaking the “High and Fast” version, and posting clips of her singing the song with fans she happened to bump into. The song has seen even more success beyond TikTok, acquiring over 34M Spotify streams and reaching the Top 10 of Spotify’s Viral 50.
- One of the biggest stars of the past few decades of Latin pop, Thalia has found a new international audience on TikTok. She’s experienced unexpected success recently with her 1998 single “Marimar,” which has over 543k total TikTok creations. The song blew up on the back of a trending prank, in which creators trick their friends (or siblings, or boyfriends, or family members) into performing a “dance” before pulling their hair in sync with Thalia’s excited scream. No one is more excited about the song’s newfound popularity than Thalia herself, who promised her 10.9 million followers that she would duet every example of the trend that she sees. Over the past few days, Thalia has lived up to her promise, duetting dozens of examples and racking up millions of views in the process.
- The TikTok community always has their eyes and ears open to discovering rising talents. 17-year-old Houston rapper Luclover might be the next rapper to hit the big time after blowing up onTikTok with his viral hit, “L$D” (1M+ creations). Using his emphatic opening verse, creators show off their moves as they recreate a dance by creator @itznicothemicro. TikTok users put their best feet forward as they do their own renditions with family and friends. Some creators find themselves dancing to the upbeat track after previously expressing their disinterest in doing so. Luclover did his part to keep the trend going, doing the trending dance with his girlfriend and expressing gratitude for having the #1 trending sound on TikTok. Luclover’s viral success of “L$D” earned him a top 10 spot on Spotify’s US Viral 50, boasting over 1.2M+ Spotify streams to date since its official release.
- Creators in the TikTok community often use music to show off the important people in their lives. Inspired by country rapper David Morris’ “Carrying Your Love,” creators show off everyday reminders that keep their beloved friends and family fresh on their minds. Boasting 347.1K+ creations, the George Strait-sampling song finds creators discovering reminders of their furry friends and significant others, cherishing their journeys of motherhood, and swapping wardrobes with their besties. David Morris also interacted with the song on his TikTok, reacting to creators’ pet reveals using the duet feature and celebrating his song’s viral rise. Thanks to a boost from TikTok, “Carrying Your Love” is in the top 20 on Spotify’s US Viral 50 chart, with over 1M streams to date.
- Southern rapper Chalie Boy first gained notoriety in 2009 with his regional hit “I Look Good,” but another one of his singles has made an unexpected rise on TikTok. His 2013 single “Thick Fine Woman” has over 75K creations to date, the bulk of which have come since mid-June. The song inspired a trending dance that got a boost from JoJo Siwa, and spread to reluctant sibling duos, well-dressed gentlemen, and more. The brash “Thick Fine Woman” also soundtracks the exploits of unconventional maids of honor, and a band documenting their cross-country tour. The most-viewed version of the trend came when a customer documented his crush on a bartender–not knowing that the bartender is an active TikTok user who found him on her For You feed.
- Originally using Gunna’s “Top Off” and now soundtracked by Waka Flocka Flame’s 2010 track “No Hands” ft. Roscoe Dash and Wale, the #StudioChallenge is still in full effect on TikTok. Creators continue to channel their inner rap star as their crew hypes them up with flashing lights and random objects as hanging microphones. With over 729K creations across multiple sounds, “No Hands” is urging lifeguards to turn up to the high-energy song on their work breaks, babies to dance with their pacifier as their microphone, and bridesmaids to have fun with their friends at wedding receptions.
This week, TikTok announced that it’s partnering with the OSHEAGA Music and Arts Festival for a second year, returning as the festival’s exclusive livestreaming partner. OSHEAGA is one of Canada’s largest music festivals, and TikTok’s partnership helps bring the festival to the global stage via its community of more than 1 billion music fans. The LIVE broadcasts on @osheaga_festival starting at 2pm ET on July 29th and continues until the festival’s conclusion on July 31st. Stay tuned to @TikTokCanada and @MusicOnTikTok for exclusive on-the-ground backstage content with some of the performing artists. The streaming schedule will be released later this week, including performances from Arcade Fire, Burna Boy, Tove Lo, Faouzia, and many more.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Step 1: Beyoncé, Ryan Tedder, Steve Lacy, & More on TikTok
On TikTok: Justin Timberlake, Yeat’s #GentleMinions, and a K-Pop Star Goes Solo
Metallica, Flo Milli, Avril Lavigne, and More From Music on TikTok
Drake Feels No Ways, Doja Channels Elvis, and More from Music on TikTok
Gorillaz, John Legend, JOJI, and More TikTok Treats
ABBA and Radiohead Trend, Tate McRae Drops a New Video, and More from Music on TikTok
Highway to the Nostalgia Zone: the ‘80s Are Back on TikTok
Harry, Kendrick, and Kate Bush Highlight a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
This Newsletter Doesn’t Jiggle Jiggle, It Reports on the Biggest Music Moments on TikTok
On TikTok: Bad Bunny, Kendrick Lamar, and Suki Waterhouse Make Waves
Justin Gets “Honest,” PSY Returns, and More TikTok Stories
Moon Knight, Skillibeng, and More From a Leveled Up Week For Music on TikTok
On TikTok: Lizzo Returns, Ambitious Creators Show Off Their Skills, and More
“First Class” Jack Harlow, Ghanaian Drill, and More TikTok Music Stories
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry