TikTok Treats, Week of July 4th
On TikTok This Week: Avril Lavigne Celebrates an Anniversary, Metallica Is the Latest Band to Get the Stranger Things Boost, and Fan Favorite Flo Milli Returns
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Here’s what music made TikTok tick this week:
- Believe it or not, it has been over 20 years since Avril Lavigne first fell in love with a “Sk8ter Boi.” The iconic Canadian singer is enjoying a bit of a renaissance on the platform, with a trending hit and viral videos of her own. TikTok creators rediscovered Avril’s bouncy 2011 hit “What The Hell” in early 2020, making it one of the first catalog hits to earn second life on TikTok (859k video creations). She’s been active on TikTok ever since joining the platform (with assistance from Tony Hawk), but in the past few weeks, she’s scored tens of millions of views with videos on her own profile. She brought back “What The Hell” with a shimmy, struck back at commenters who can’t help but ask why she makes things so complicated, and recreated the album cover from her smash hit 2002 album Let Go.
- Stranger Things famously returned Kate Bush’s 1985 hit “Running Up That Hill” to the top of the Billboard charts, but the recently released season finale brought exposure to a much heavier hit from the era. “Master Of Puppets,” the 1986 thrash metal banger from the legendary Metallica, soundtracked a crucial moment in the season finale, and Stranger Things fans on TikTok are using the song to pay tribute to Eddie Munson, the beloved breakout character from the season. With over 20k video creations to date, “Master Of Puppets” inspires people to dress like Eddie (intentionally or not), to teach others how to play the classic introductory guitar riff, and to check out Metallica’s discography for the first time.
- Many creators in the TikTok community make videos that chronicle their progress on their journeys from childhood to adulthood. Inspired by indie pop band Echosmith’s 2013 hit “Cool Kids,” creators take a trip to the past as they share throwback photos and memories. Boasting over 772K+ platform and user-generated creations to date, the song inspires creators to connect with their inner child and affirm that they are everything their younger self aspires to be. Using the emphatic lines, “Yeah, they’re invincible, and she’s just in the background/ And she says…I wish that I could be like the cool kids/’Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in,” creators reflect on trends of the mid-2010s, share childhood photos of themselves, and document the beginning of their lifelong friendships through photos. Echosmith also joined the trend, sharing a photo of the band members together as children.
- Through fun challenges and creative dances, TikTok encourages the kind of engagement that increases enjoyment of new music. Finding a groove with rising New Orleans rapper Rob49’s “Vulture Island” (43.5K+ creations), TikTok creators put their best foot forward as they do their own rendition of a dance by creators @kiryaona0 and @etskinnyhoemiya. In recent videos, TikTok creators show off their patty-caking moves with their besties, co-workers, and family members. Rob49 also interacted with the song on his TikTok page, reacting to creators’ dance videos using the duet feature.
- TikTok favorite Flo Milli has another high-energy hit on her hands with“Conceited” (262.2K+ creations), a new single that inspired another high energy dance trend making the rounds on TikTok. Previously sparking dance trends with popular tracks like “May I,” “In The Party,” and her guest verses on YungManny’s “Clap For ‘Em” and $NOT’s “Mean,” the new dance trend for “Conceited” marks another viral hit in the books for the Mobile, Alabama riser. Creators enjoy the song’s booming beat and catchy moves, as they hit them with their best friends in matching outfits, in cowboy hats at the gas station, and during their break at work. Flo Milli even joined in on the fun, duetting the choreographer @karaleighcannella’s original video as she did the dance.
- Singer-songwriter Katherine Li is the latest artist to use TikTok and SoundOn to turn a viral moment into a career jumpstart. Since teasing her song “Never Had A Chance” (613.5K+ creations) in March and officially releasing it in April, the heartfelt ballad has become the new anthem for TikTok creators to ruminate on their love interests. “Never Had A Chance” inspired a trend that uses TikTok’s “Initial” filter to reveal the first initial of their crush who they “can’t get over, but never had a chance with.” While some creators are shocked at the accuracy and inaccuracy of the results, other creators are using the song and filter to carry out classic “ur mom” jokes. Not only has Katherine Li participated in this lighthearted trend, but she’s also expressed her immense gratitude for all of the support and success of the song.
TikTok-beloved rock band Måneskin plans to release a new video, available to view exclusively on TikTok. The Italian group teased the upcoming video for their song “Supermodel” on their page yesterday, and followed it up with a sneak peek of the video for their 5.8 million followers. Check back on their page on July 7th to view the full “Supermodel” video, only on TikTok.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Drake Feels No Ways, Doja Channels Elvis, and More from Music on TikTok
Gorillaz, John Legend, JOJI, and More TikTok Treats
ABBA and Radiohead Trend, Tate McRae Drops a New Video, and More from Music on TikTok
Highway to the Nostalgia Zone: the ‘80s Are Back on TikTok
Harry, Kendrick, and Kate Bush Highlight a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
This Newsletter Doesn’t Jiggle Jiggle, It Reports on the Biggest Music Moments on TikTok
On TikTok: Bad Bunny, Kendrick Lamar, and Suki Waterhouse Make Waves
Justin Gets “Honest,” PSY Returns, and More TikTok Stories
Moon Knight, Skillibeng, and More From a Leveled Up Week For Music on TikTok
On TikTok: Lizzo Returns, Ambitious Creators Show Off Their Skills, and More
“First Class” Jack Harlow, Ghanaian Drill, and More TikTok Music Stories
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry