TikTok Treats, Week of June 27th
Drake Inspires Creators to Dance With A Virtual Partner, Doja Cat Gives Her Take on “Hound Dog,” A New Country Star is Born, and More From TikTok
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week, generational superstars made noise on TikTok, while rising artists made their presence felt. Take a look at some of the moments and trends that continue to make TikTok the most exciting platform for all things music:
- A new dance trend has taken off on TikTok and, this time, the trend features an unexpectedly charming dance partner. Recently, creators have been dancing to Drake’s 2016 track “Feel No Ways” (63.6K+ creations) with the beloved 3D character Horace, created by artist and 3D designer @jqgray using TikTok’s Effect House. In the lighthearted, comedic dance trend, creators emulate various humorous scenarios with the text-on-screen feature as they dance with Horace. Members of the TikTok community are using “Feel No Ways” and the Horace effect to demonstrate how they used to convince their parents to let them have sleepovers with their cousins, dance with short kings in the club, and remind their partner to eat actual food, not just Starbucks drinks. Former Pretty Little Liars actress Shay Mitchell participated in the trend, showing off her go-to dance moves for when she hits the club for the first time in a long time.
- Gunna scored a massive hit on TikTok earlier this year with “pushin P,” his collaboration with Future and Young Thug. The Atlanta rapper is now having another moment on TikTok with the resurgence of his 2018 track “Top Off” (70.2K+ creations). Gunna performed the song live on “COLORS” in 2018, and now four years later, the viral performance inspired a playful trend on the platform in which creators recreate the performance with random objects as the hanging microphone and their friends as their hype crew with flashing lights. From crab legs to Yeezy slides to vacuums, creators are using all kinds of items to tap into their inner Gunna. Rappers Latto and Fredo Bang are even joining in on the fun, using bottles of Casamigos and chocolate chip cookies as their microphones.
- Between her vibrant personality and catchy discography, Doja Cat is a darling in the TikTok community. Previously finding viral success with hits like “Get Into It (Yuh)” (1.8M+ creations), “Say So” (11M+ creations), and “Streets” (392.5K+ creations), Doja is back trending on TikTok again with “Vegas,” her new single from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack for ELVIS. Garnering over 88.6K+ combined platform-generated creations, the Big Mama Thornton-sampling track finds TikTok creators enjoying the ELVIS movie in different ways – while some creators capture their besties’ reactions to the film, others make a trip to the movies to see Austin Butler portray Elvis Pressley. In other creations, TikTok users perfect their beauty transitions, share summer hairstyle ideas, and hilariously imitate Doja Cat’s signature dance move.
- Bailey Zimmerman is one of the biggest new stars in Country music, and he can credit TikTok for helping to fuel his rise. The 22-year-old singer-songwriter earned a big hit earlier this year with his ballad “Fall In Love,” which he previewed on TikTok before its February drop. The song has been steadily rising up the Hot 100 in recent weeks, but the Illinois native recently topped himself with his new song “Rock And A Hard Place.” An active TikTok creator, Zimmerman took fans through the process of creating the song, from its conception as an iPhone note, to the finished product a few weeks later. Leading up to its release, Zimmerman extensively promoted the song, telling the story behind how the song relates to his sobriety and expressing his hope that the song will help his fans as much as it helped him. His fans on TikTok couldn’t contain their excitement for the song, which generated over 30k video creations before its official release. When the song finally came out on June 10th, it created a streaming frenzy, driving the song up to a #24 debut on the Billboard Hot 100 and a #1 debut on the Billboard Hot Country chart. For his part, Bailey Zimmerman keeps on making TikToks, giving his followers the truck content they deserve, asking his band whether they prefer carrots or broccoli, and thanking his fans on TikTok for having his back from the beginning.
- SoundOn artist burrell grew a massive following on TikTok of over 353K followers with his comedic skits and relatable commentary. Letting his personality shine through his music, burrell inspires creators to call out all the fakers with his song “Cap.” Originally previewed on TIkTok in late May 2021, “Cap” has reached over 709K creations since its official release. Inspired by his repetitive hook, creators challenge the honesty of their peers as they ask their clients if getting a tattoo hurts, counter their ex-boyfriend’s opinions on their appearance, and hilariously call out the lies on women’s Tinder bios. Burrell interacted with his song on his own TikTok page, refuting the idea that living in California isn’t expensive.
Last week, TikTok was a title sponsor for VidCon, and in celebration of Black Music Month, TikTok hosted two panels about hip-hop and the massive impact that the genre has had on TikTok and the culture at large. The first panel, “ How TikTok is Bringing in the New School Of Sound,” featured panelists Zai1K, Lakeyah, and Trinidad Cardona, and the second panel, “How Women in Hip Hop Have Found a Home on TikTok,” hosted Baby Tate, Doechii, and Monaleo.
View photos from the two panels HERE.
The biggest TikTok hits now sound a little different, complete with timpani and trumpets. Together with Warner Classics, TikTok is releasing TikTok Classics – memes & viral hits, this summer. A selection of 18 of the biggest TikTok hits classically arranged and newly recorded by the internationally renowned Babelsberg Film Orchestra of Germany. Check out full details about TikTok Classics at the Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Gorillaz, John Legend, JOJI, and More TikTok Treats
ABBA and Radiohead Trend, Tate McRae Drops a New Video, and More from Music on TikTok
Highway to the Nostalgia Zone: the ‘80s Are Back on TikTok
Harry, Kendrick, and Kate Bush Highlight a Busy Week of Music on TikTok
This Newsletter Doesn’t Jiggle Jiggle, It Reports on the Biggest Music Moments on TikTok
On TikTok: Bad Bunny, Kendrick Lamar, and Suki Waterhouse Make Waves
Justin Gets “Honest,” PSY Returns, and More TikTok Stories
Moon Knight, Skillibeng, and More From a Leveled Up Week For Music on TikTok
On TikTok: Lizzo Returns, Ambitious Creators Show Off Their Skills, and More
“First Class” Jack Harlow, Ghanaian Drill, and More TikTok Music Stories
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry