TikTok Treats, Week of May 30th
Kendrick Lamar Ponders the Passage of Time, Harry Styles Shares a Jam for Japanese Eateries, and Stranger Things Inspires a Kate Bush Renaissance
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week, see trends from superstars like Harry Styles and Kendrick Lamar alongside boom bap deep cuts, 80s art pop classics, and romantic country:
- Kendrick Lamar shook the world when he officially released Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers, his highly-anticipated album and his first since 2017’s DAMN. The TikTok community found a creative way to emphasize the long wait for new music from Kendrick using his song, “United In Grief.” Reaching over 118K+ creations, Kendrick inspires creators to share their journeys over the course of five years using the hashtag #1855days, which boasts over 17.2M+ views to date. Using his emphatic opener, “I’ve been going through something, 1855 days/I’ve been going through something,” creators share old photos from 2017 and reveal how they look now. For some creators, their glow up journey consists of weight loss, graduating from college, and transitioning from geek to chic.
- If you’re looking for a track perfect for both a delicious meal and your latest TikTok masterpiece, look no further than Harry Styles’ 80s Pop–inspired track “Music For a Sushi Restaurant.” The opening track from his new album Harry’s House, and a newly-minted Top 10 Billboard Hit, “Music For a Sushi Restaurant” is making its way through the platform, garnering over 79K+ creations. Creators are happily engaging with the lively sound, using it to soundtrack cute one-year-old babies in their toy cars, roller skating excursions that end with skate bestie run ins, and the best recipes for a refreshing Aperol spritz cocktail. Some creators are even using sound to show off groovy dance moves befitting a roommate date in a sushi restaurant.
- Singer-songwriter, and Real Housewives of Atlanta reality tv star Kandi Burruss has the TikTok community feeling themselves with her track “Legs, Hips, Body” (30.2K+ creations). A collaboration with singer D. Woods, fellow RHOA star Porsha Williams, and media personality Funky Dineva, created for the 2014 Kandi-produced play A Mother’s Love, the song’s appearance in a recent TikTok creation on Kandi’s account sparked its unexpected resurgence eight years later. Creators are loving the sound, using it to comedically display its similar vibe to the Temple Run theme song, attempt to convince their partner to go to bed instead of packing, and strut their stuff before boarding a plane.
- The TikTok community has mastered the skill of refreshing throwback songs with new context and ideas. This week, creators are channeling their nostalgia as they vibe out to The Beatnuts 2001 song, “Se Acabo” ft. Method Man (3.1M+ creations). Using TikTok’s disposable fisheye lens filter, creators wear their favorite shades and bop their heads to the song’s upbeat introduction – whether by themselves or with their besties. In other creations, “Se Acabo” soundtracks mini vlogs, wardrobe recommendations, and Mercedes truck makeovers.
- With the release of the highly-anticipated fourth season of Stranger Things has come the resurgence of Kate Bush’s 1985 classic “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God).” The song has taken over TikTok since appearing in the premiere of the acclaimed show’s fourth season, garnering over 168.8K+ creations. Creators use the new wave genre track to engage in all things Stranger Things, including admitting to how the show impacted their lives, taking Stranger Things character quizzes, and even showing how they watch the show in their 80s-themed room. Thirty-seven years since its debut, the track is topping charts, reaching #1 on iTunes’ Songs Chart (All-Genres) over the weekend.
- Time and time again, TikTok provides the perfect platform for artists to test the temperature of their unreleased music. After previewing his debut single “5 Foot 9” (56.7K+ creations) on TikTok in early May, country singer Tyler Hubbard helped create a bubbling trend among TikTok creators. Inspired by his catchy hook, “God makes 5 foot 9, brown eyes, in a sundress/Loves Tim McGraw and a small town accent,” creators reveal their height, eye color, and their interests across a series of photos of themselves. Even if their height isn’t 5’9”, creators use the country song as a moment to introduce themselves to their followers. Tyler Hubbard also interacted with the trend on the platform, using the song to describe his wife – who is surprisingly not 5’9”!
Earlier this week, an interstellar emissary landed on TikTok–legendary rock band Pink Floyd joined the platform, along with their incredible catalog of songs. Arriving in time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their landmark Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd will be regularly posting unique video content that will continue their legacy of using memorable images to enhance their music. Creators can do their part by using incredible songs like “Another Brick in the Wall (Part II),” “Money,” and “Comfortably Numb” in their videos, or by determining once and for all if Dark Side actually syncs with The Wizard Of Oz.
Read more about Pink Floyd’s new account on the Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-gb/welcoming-pink-floyd-and-their-music-to-tiktok
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
This Newsletter Doesn’t Jiggle Jiggle, It Reports on the Biggest Music Moments on TikTok
On TikTok: Bad Bunny, Kendrick Lamar, and Suki Waterhouse Make Waves
Justin Gets “Honest,” PSY Returns, and More TikTok Stories
Moon Knight, Skillibeng, and More From a Leveled Up Week For Music on TikTok
On TikTok: Lizzo Returns, Ambitious Creators Show Off Their Skills, and More
“First Class” Jack Harlow, Ghanaian Drill, and More TikTok Music Stories
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry