TikTok Treats, Week of May 23rd
Future, Post Malone, Tems, and More Make Waves With Hit Songs, But the Biggest Hit Comes From an Awkward Rap by a BBC Host
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter does not jiggle jiggle, but it does give a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Have a look and listen to the latest trends, which range from #1 Billboard smashes, slow burning ballads, to inescapable memes:
- Anyone spending time on TikTok over the past month has likely heard one of the year’s most unconventional trending hits. “Jiggle Jiggle” started life as a humorous rhyme in Weird Weekends, a BBC 2 show hosted by Louis Theroux, but the song re-entered public consciousness after Theroux’s recent Chicken Shop Date interview with @AmeliaDimz (the man has been working on his flow!). In March, production duo Duke & Jones added a beat and auto-tune to Theroux’s rap, and since then, the song has become one of the most popular sounds on TIkTok. The bouncy remix inspired a dance challenge, in which a pair of creators dons sweatpants and a hoodie before engaging in an awkward shimmy. With 3.7 million video creations to date, the song has reached the ears of luminaries such as Shakira, Snoop Dogg, and Megan Thee Stallion, who danced to the song with her boyfriend Pardison Fontaine. Louis Theroux commented on his unlikely viral moment on his first-ever TikTok, as he strutted down the streets of London.
- Over the past year, Nigerian singer-songwriter Tems has made waves on TikTok with her feature on Wizkid’s global smash “Essence” and her solo track “Free Mind.” Now, her voice is winning over the TikTok community once again with her R&B track “Higher,” sampled on Future’s “WAIT FOR U” ft. Drake. Capturing the heartfelt essence of the original Tems track, “WAIT FOR U” has racked up over 101K creations on the platform. Creators are taking to the sound to display their apartment tours, intricate tattoo designs, and relationship tips. The song is taking off from TikTok to Billboard, recently debuting at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- The weather in the U.S. is getting warmer by the day, and the TikTok community is anticipating a fun summer ahead. Getting prepared for “hot girl” and “city boy” summer, creators are vibing to Memphis duo Hitkidd & Glorilla’s “F.N.F. (Let’s Go).” Garnering over 69.1K creations combined, the bouncy beat and enthralling hook of this song resonates with creators who are embracing the idea of being single for the summer. TikTok users vibe out to the track in their houses, show off their best footwork as they do the Memphis-signature jookin’ dance, and share their excitement for the season. The infectious track continues to grow beyond TikTok, gaining 1.5 million streams in one month of release and charting at #1 on the US Spotify Viral 50 chart this week.
- Regional Mexican group Los Capos De Mexico has taken over TikTok in recent weeks with their lively 2012 track “La Canalera.” The Spanish-language song has amassed over 678K creations across two different sounds and has sparked a host of trends. While some creators are using the sound to suggest that their partners are being unfaithful, others are using it to perform hilarious dance moves with loved ones in their lives. The TikTok community has the unparalleled talent to make the most seemingly random actions into a viral trend. The proof: “La Canalera” also inspired a trend of creators trying to flare their nose to the beat of the song.
- As summer approaches, so does graduation season, and TikTok creators have found a new favorite anthem for walking in caps and gowns. TikTok creators turn to Post Malone’s 2016 hit “Congratulations” (35.3K+ creations combined) to highlight their milestone accomplishments, such as graduating from high school and college. In recent videos, scholars of TikTok celebrate their last days of school as they repurpose their worksheets as confetti, make snow angels with their homework, and show off their graduation outfits. Post Malone also interacted with the sound on his page, sharing the wholesome reaction of a man who never hadn’t heard the song before.
- Nashville-based singer-songwriter Stephen Sanchez had a song and a dream, and thanks to TikTok, his song is racking up streams by the tens of millions. Sanchez released his song “Until I Found You” in December 2021, and took every opportunity he had on TikTok to grow his following and spread the word about his song. In the winter, he advertised how well his song soundtracked a sled excursion down an icy road, and imagined what life will be like when he finds the one he loves. Around Valentine’s Day, Stephen shared a stripped down piano version of the song with his cat in his lap, generating over 12 million views. Ever since, Stephen has continued to post videos of his best feline friend, and his song has gained momentum, generating over 146k video creations and 50 million streams on Spotify (where it currently ranks #2 on the US Viral 50 chart), powered by his own videos and other videos of creators finding their soulmates, pets, and more. For his part, Stephen has been grateful for his TikTok fans, who helped propel the song to the point where it could be performed on Seth Meyers earlier this month.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
On TikTok: Bad Bunny, Kendrick Lamar, and Suki Waterhouse Make Waves
Justin Gets “Honest,” PSY Returns, and More TikTok Stories
Moon Knight, Skillibeng, and More From a Leveled Up Week For Music on TikTok
On TikTok: Lizzo Returns, Ambitious Creators Show Off Their Skills, and More
“First Class” Jack Harlow, Ghanaian Drill, and More TikTok Music Stories
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry