TikTok Treats, Week of April 25th
Favorites Like Lizzo and The Kid Laroi Return With New Music, Shaggy’s First Hit Gets New Life, and Emerging Hits From Memphis, Boulder, and the Deep Internet Take Over TikTok
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week, the community vibed to new hits from familiar faves and took fiery songs from rising artists and made them their own. Take a look at the most interesting trends from a diverse week in TikTok music:
- The ruler’s back: Lizzo, the self-proclaimed “Queen Of TikTok” returned this week with a new single and a flurry of new posts on her account. The night before releasing her new single “About Damn Time,” Lizzo shared a snippet and asked fans to “roast” her in the comments, with the best joke getting a duet. The winner was @CharliePuth, who created an exaggerated dance that Lizzo eagerly imitated. With over 5.5k creations since its official release, “About Damn Time” is picking up steam, powered in part by a dance created by @jaedenraegomez. Lizzo has been incredibly busy on TikTok as the song starts its rise, sharing BTS clips from her recent appearance on SNL, showing highlights from her journey to Coachella to perform with Harry Styles, and promoting Yitty, the new shapewear brand she recently founded.
- TikTok is an ideal venue for artists and other talented individuals to showcase their skills, and a new sound is helping them show off in style. In late 2021, creator @tejxpatel used a modified version of Memphis rapper Key Glock’s hit “Ambition For Cash” to demonstrate that he’s “in his bag” when he’s shooting and editing breathtaking photographs. With over 150k video creations, the sound has become a go-to for artists, from sculptors to designers of custom Crocs to martial artists, athletes like the Paris St. Germain soccer team and LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne, and artisans of all kinds: folks who make dog beds for humans, aspiring chefs, and more. The official, unmodified “Ambition For Cash” audio is also doing well on the platform, generating over 33k creates and gaining traction within TikTok’s community of fitness influencers and enthusiasts.
- The TikTok community always has an appetite for emerging artists’ unreleased music. Colorado-based DJ Disco Lines made a splash on TikTok when he previewed a snippet of “BABY GIRL,” a song he made while waiting inside of an airport. Garnering over 30K creations to date since its official release in mid-April, the bouncy club song has creators in the mood for nightlife, as they share their favorite pictures from nights out on the town and offer their best advice for dancing in the club – including recommended dance moves to keep creepy guys away and ways to dance in public while in a relationship. Disco Lines also interacted with the song on his TikTok, sharing his first time playing the track live in front of an audience and announcing that the extended “airplane” version of the song is available everywhere.
- TikTok consistently gives catalog songs second life, with the 1996 Sting remix of reggae and dancehall legend Shaggy’s 1995 hit “Boombastic” as the latest example sweeping through the platform. Amassing over 400K+ creations, the groovy tune is the perfect sound to soundtrack all types of situations. Creators are taking to the sound to display their excitement about realizing there’s a Taco Bell in the bar, show an unlikely scene of some lifelong friends letting loose on the dance floor during a night out, and demonstrate how to make their favorite cookie and cake-inspired snacks at home. Meanwhile, Shaggy is busy promoting music of his own, previewing his single “Mi Duh Know” and hosting an Open Verse Challenge for aspiring emcees, over 600 of whom have shown their skills atop the strutting beat.
- Key Glock isn’t the only one inspiring creators to showcase their best work. Inspired by the energetic, video game-like production of Dxrk ダーク’s “RAVE” (69.8K+ creations), creators are rewriting some of your favorite cartoon characters’ stories with their own hand-drawn manga series. A few of the videos include scenarios featuring characters from Spongebob Squarepants, Mickey Mouse, and The Simpsons. In other creations, TikTok users show off their gym progress and hilariously react to their discoveries after studying history online. The upbeat track continues to grow beyond TikTok, earning a top 5 spot on Spotify’s Global Viral 50 and more than 9 million Spotify streams.
- Following the immense success of his tracks like “STAY” (8.4M+ creations) and “WITHOUT YOU” (2.4M+ creations), The Kid LAROI appears to have another fan-favorite hit on his hands with his new single “Thousand Miles.” He began to tease the track earlier this month and urged his fans on the app to use the song to soundtrack some of the worst mistakes they’ve made in life. Creators are happily obliging, sharing their past mistakes when it comes to hair, relationships, and getting sandwich stains on their clothes on live television. Contributing to the 6.3K+ creations and counting, The Kid LAROI even used the growing sound to provide a sneak peek into the song’s video shoot.
TikTok is excited to announce the launch of #Rompiendo, a new program to highlight the success and impact of Latin music and artists on TikTok. Latin music is a massive and growing style of music on TikTok, and #Rompiendo provides some of the most vital artists with the opportunity to share their voices with the TikTok community even more. #Rompiendo artists will host LIVEs to connect with fans, and their music will be featured on TikTok Radio on Sirius XM (Ch. 4) and on dedicated playlists on the app’s Sounds page.
Today, Wednesday April 27th, TikTok announces the first #Rompiendo artist: Brazilian singer Anitta. Anitta achieved massive success on TikTok with her song “Envolver.” The song, which now has over 2M video creations, broke countless records for both the artist herself and Latin music as a whole after going viral on TikTok. Anitta recently performed at Coachella, and dropped the highly-anticipated album Versions Of Me, home to “Envolver” and other hits.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
“First Class” Jack Harlow, Ghanaian Drill, and More TikTok Music Stories
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry