TikTok Treats, Week of April 18th
With Trends Soundtracked by #1 Hits, ‘90s Honduran Punta Rock, Instrumental Rage Beats, and more, the TikTok Community Continues to Display Their Hit-Making Influence and Wide-Ranging Musical Tastes
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. TikTok makes a major impact week-in and week-out on the charts, but sometimes the most interesting trends exist at the margins. This week, not only did TikTok help a favorite artist achieve his first solo number one hit, but the community helped elevate songs from Ghana, Honduras, and Jamaica to internet prominence. Check out some of the most fascinating music trends from recent days:
Check out more noteworthy stories from the world of TikTok this week:
- Star rapper Jack Harlow reached a new career milestone this week, with some help from his large contingent of fans on TikTok. A few weeks ago, Harlow treated TikTok to a preview of his new single “First Class“, a smooth song that samples Fergie’s 2007 hit “Glamorous.” The song went viral on TikTok in the days before its official release, generating tens of thousands of video creations, with fans begging him to drop and creating silly trends to the song’s dulcet piano tones. Powered by its TikTok success, and over 440k video creations in less than three weeks, including over 50k video creations before its official release, “First Class” made its debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week. The song is Jack’s first solo number one hit, and his third TikTok-powered song to reach the upper echelons of the pop charts, following his hit “What’s Poppin” (400k+ combined creates) and “Industry Baby” (1.6 million creates), his collaboration with Lil Nas X.
- The TikTok community uses a shared taste in music to bond over similar experiences, whether they be good, bad, or simply awkward. Inspired by Ghanaian artist Black Sherif’s “Kwaku The Traveller” (667.2K+ platform and user-generated creations), creators share a couple of their most embarrassing and awkward interactions with people they know. Black Sherif’s vehemently relatable line, “Of course I f***ed up/Who never f*** up, hands in the air,” resonates with creators who have gotten caught cheating on their partners, accidentally sent screenshots to the wrong person, and unintentionally sent mixed signals to their crush. Black Sherif also interacted with the track on his TikTok page, thanking his followers for their continuing support of the song. Thanks to the TikTok trend, and other skits using the audio, “Kwaku The Traveller” is one of the most popular Ghanaian songs on the platform, generating over 50 million views on the tag #kwakuthetraveller.
- Despite our best intentions, life doesn’t always end up going according to plan. The TikTok community is proving that this week, to the tune of Honduran artist Pilo Tejeda’s lively track “Sopa de Caracol” (392.5K+ creations). Originally released by Tejeda’s popular 90s band Banda Blanca, the 2022 remastered version of the song is inspiring comedic creations from those who know they should be doing one thing but can’t help but to do another. Creators are using the sound to admit times they ignored things they probably should not have: they can only think about Easter baskets rather than grown-up responsibilities, they zone out and think about dinner in the middle of class, and they haven’t quite taken the leap to move out of their parents’ house. The sound is also perfect for adorable ducklings who like to waddle together in bathroom sinks.
- Recently on TikTok, creators have been displaying the humorous lessons they are learning about the importance of restraint. Soundtracked by Lil Glock 420’s rage-beat anthem “FASHION” (48.9K+ creations), a warped version of David and Goliath is making its rounds throughout the platform. Creators are displaying themselves throwing an object at someone or something in slo-mo. Whether it be tossing a roll of tape at a friend or tossing a ball at a dog, they immediately regret their decision as the target of their frustration grows into a monstrous size on the screen. Lil Glock 420 has been actively engaging with the song on his own account, sharing a clip of the official video and thanking fans for helping the song reach 2M Spotify streams, reposting some of his favorite creations with the sound, and sharing his reaction to “FASHION” trending on TikTok.
- Before he was recognized as one of the only Canadian creators on the 2022 Black TikTok Trailblazers List, Toronto creator Akintoye made a splash on TikTok with his off-the-cuff freestyles, such as “I’m Broke” (21.3K+ creations) and a freestyle about the COVID-19 vaccine (19.3M+ views). Previously released as a snippet on his page, Akintoye’s “Pizzazz” inspires creators to share their mental health checks in a lighthearted way. Using his emphatic lyrics, “Are you okay, like really?/I’m fine, if I’m going to be sad I’m gonna do it with pizzazz,” creators find a silver lining in their sadness by showing the ways they cope with “pizzazz”: playing video games, dying their hair, and giving themselves new tattoos. Akintoye has also interacted with his song on TikTok, showing his 2.5M followers how he deals with sadness by binge-watching anime. “Pizzazz” has more than 125k video creations to date, and its TikTok success helped the song rack over 500k streams on Spotify alone.
- With his off-the-wall lyricism and rapidfire toasting style, Dancehall deejay Yung Bredda has a TikTok hit on his hands with “Rockin Chair” (42.5k creations). The song’s minimalist percussion and emphatic, NSFW lyrics make it the perfect soundtrack for a new trend used by creators who feel like they can’t be stopped. When faced with the song’s irresistible breakdown, creators face away from the camera and practice their most untouchable strut, walking headfirst with the belief that their irrational confidence will help them navigate sticky situations, from tricking a significant other’s protective brother to delivering a white lie to mistaking someone else’s car for your own.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
A Harry Styles Hit, a Daddy Yankee Renaissance, and More TikTok Music Stories
Durk, Jack, Demi, and Fergie Inspire TikTok Music Trends
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry