TikTok Treats, Week of April 4th
Durk & Gunna Mourn Virgil, Demi is Cool For The Summer, Jack Harlow Gets Glamorous, and Much More from an Action-Packed Week in Music on TikTok
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Songs can trend on TikTok for a multitude of reasons, ranging from a popular remix, to a new dance, to a comedic trend, or an artist-initiated open verse challenge. Other times, songs bubble up due to organic enthusiasm from the app’s eager community of music lovers. Check out how some of this week’s songs grew to trending status:
- Spring only just started, but the TikTok Community has their sights on an even warmer (or cooler?) time of year. A smash hit in 2015, Demi Lovato’s breezy “Cool For The Summer” resurfaced on TikTok this year, with multiple versions of the song reaching trending status. With over 2.9 million video creations to date, the most popular remix (slightly sped up from the original) first appeared alongside a dance by user @iamhibryda, who choreographed a gyrating motion that has been mimicked by countless users. Inspired by the song’s resurgent success, TikTok DJ @kuyamagik combined “Cool For The Summer” with Ginuwine’s “Pony,” creating a mashup that rivals this year’s trending “Toxic Pony” mashup in popularity. “Cool For Summer x Pony” has over 1.6 million video creations, soundtracking evil pranks, frisky pets, and more. The “Cool For The Summer” takeover eventually reached the ears of Demi Lovato themself, who announced last weekend that the sped up “Nightcore” remix would be available to stream on all platforms
- Rap star and TikTok favorite Jack Harlow is tapping into TikTok’s appreciation for past hits with a new song of his own, one that samples an older hit with a modern twist. He’s begun teasing his upcoming single “First Class” which samples Fergie’s 2006 pop hit “Glamorous” and the TikTok community is loving it, driving the sound of the studio clip to over 22K creations ahead of the song’s release. Creators have been using the sound to admit they can’t get the video of Jack out of their head, display their excitement about the song’s upcoming release, and even to share the perfect drink recipe for getting ready for a night out. Along with teasing the song in the clip of him listening to it in the studio, Jack also used the sound on a recent behind-the-scenes clip into his GRAMMYs performance rehearsal with Lil Nas X and renowned celebrity choreographer Sean Bankhead.
- Jack Harlow’s Fergie flashback is surprisingly not the only trend featuring the contributions of the former Black Eyed Peas singer. This week, creators of the TikTok community are putting their best lip-syncing chops on full display to belt out the lyrics of Fergie’s 2006 chart-topper, “Big Girls Don’t Cry” (501K+ platform and user-generated creations combined). The throwback inspired two trends, as creators invite one another to hold hands using Fergie’s emphatic lyrics, “Yes, you can hold my hand if you want to/’Cause I wanna hold yours too.” Other videos find creators unable to fight the urge to sing the catchy hook, “I hope you know, I hope you know/That this has nothing to do with you…” Whether they’re hilariously interrupting their girlfriend’s nap with their vocals, sharing their personal connection with the song, or simply singing during a solo car ride, these creators use the song to show the world how they are optimistic about healing from their past hardships.
- Fresh off the release of his Billboard 200 chart-topping album 7220, Lil Durk is having a major moment on TikTok with his heartfelt track “What Happened To Virgil” ft. Gunna. With over 34.7K creations, the song is tugging at the heartstrings of TikTok users, as the title references the passing of iconic fashion designer and entrepreneur Virgil Abloh. The track’s popular lyric “Oh my God, what happened to Virgil?” is inspiring both somber and more lighthearted creations from those who reflect on Virgil’s passing, who can’t believe their former classmates are having children, and who wonder why their friends can’t handle their liquor. Lil Durk and Gunna have both been interacting with the sound on their own accounts, with Durk promising to drop the video for the song once the sound reached 10K creations.
- The TikTok community is always looking for a boost of serotonin, especially in dark times. Singer Eddie Benjamin echoes the thoughts of creators everywhere who are yearning for brighter days with his new song, “Weatherman.” Previously previewing a snippet on his TikTok page, the Australian singer emphasizes his desire for a temperature outside that won’t kill his vibe. Boasting over 12K creations and 3 million Spotify streams since its February release, creators use the upbeat pop song to show off their outfit ideas for every season, document their everyday routines, and share their disappointment of the constant rainfall in their cities. Eddie Benjamin has also interacted with his song on his page, promoting it to his 53K followers, and lip synced the song with Maddie Ziegler in a video that generated over 8.7 million views.
- TikTok has been instrumental in bolstering the popularity of Louisiana smashes like Kevin Gates’ “Thinking With My Dick,” which charted on the Hot 100 this year for the first time since its 2013 release, and last year’s “Touch Down 2 Cause Hell” by HD4President. In recent weeks, another hit from “The Pelican State” has been bubbling on the platform– “I Bet U Won’t,” a 2016 regional hit by Baton Rouge spitter Level and acclaimed New Orleans rapper/producer Mouse On Da Track. The song’s popularity on TikTok (58k video creations) comes from two distinct sources–the first is comedian Famous Amos, whose staggering dance to the song went viral on multiple platforms, who has been reposting creative re-interpretations of the dance on his TikTok. Another comes from Texas teenager @walker_sheppard, who performs elaborate dances to the song with help from his classmates. With over 150 million views on the #ibetyouwont and #ibetyouwontchallenge tags, “I Bet U Won’t” has the goods to be the next Bayou banger to find a wider audience thanks to TikTok.
TikTok has been a fertile ground for musical theater, transforming creative experiments like Emily Bear & Abigail Barlow’s GRAMMY-winning The Unofficial Bridgerton Musical and the Ratatouille-adaptation Ratatouille: The TikTok Musical! into full-fledged productions. Now, TikTok is taking the next step, producing its own musical… about itself! The musical, entitled For You, Paige will be performed on a stage in NYC and available to watch LIVE only on TikTok on April 14th. For You, Paige was written by Daniel Mertzlufft, the brains behind the Ratatouille musical, and it tells the story of a young TikTok creator’s journey to viral stardom. Creators Sri, Krystina Alabado, Roman Banks, and James Henry will be among the cast. With more announcements and details to come, For You, Paige will be performed in NYC and streamed LIVE on @tiktok on April 14th at 7pm ET/4pm PT. Read more on TikTok’s newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/for-you-paige and stay tuned to #ProjectBroadway in-app.
Three-time GRAMMY® Award-nominated, multi-platinum, singer/songwriter Camila Cabello is set to present Familia: Welcome to the Family, an immersive and inventive music experience, broadcast LIVE on TikTok. The upcoming event will give fans the first opportunity to hear new songs from her forthcoming album Familia. Tune in on @CamilaCabello at 4 PM PT/7 PM ET on April 7th, or to one of the three rebroadcasts (view the full broadcast schedule on TikTok’s newsroom). Read the full announcement on TikTok’s newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/tiktok-presents-an-immersive-musical-performance-with-camila-cabello
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Pharrell, Coi & Nicki, and 80s Country Lead the Way on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Kevin Gates, Patsy Cline, and Pixar Make Music Trends
French Pop Meme-Making, Russ Remixes, and More TikTok Stories
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry