TikTok Treats, Week of March 14th
This Week on TikTok, Creators Get Clingy With a New Rap Song, Make Memes to the Tune of a French Pop Classic, and Much More
A couple folks from the TikTok team are in Austin for SXSW Music this week, let us know if you’d like to meet up! TikTok’s Head of Music Partnerships and Content Operations Corey Sheridan will chat with emerging artist Sadie Jean about her success on the community-driven video platform and its impact on her artistry. Sadie Jean, the 19-year-old Orange County native’s first-ever song “WYD Now?” has become a certified sensation on the app, thanks to the power of the #OpenVerseChallenge — a TikTok format that invites other creators to duet with her during an instrumental opening on her song.
This week brings new rap hits, old pop chestnuts, open verse remixes, and more music stories that only could’ve started on TikTok:
- Rapper and record producer Russ has had the TikTok community in an excited frenzy since teasing his catchy, boastful track “Handsomer” (39.8K+ creations) at the end of January. Upon the song’s release a few days later, TikTok creator @jacobparker.ca asked Russ to do an “open verse” challenge for the song so that creators can rap their own verse over the instrumental. Russ happily obliged, spawning over 17K creations under the sound, including the most popular creation by rising rapper Ktlyn in which she raps to the beat from a woman’s perspective. The massive success of her verse on the platform led to an official remix (29.3K+ creations) of the song, which ascended to #1 on Apple Music’s All-Genre Singles chart and #60 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week. The remix is sparking creations from moms-to-be participating in the #HandsomerDanceChallenge, avid gym-goers, and married moms who can’t relate to the lyrics but still jam to the song.
- Appropriate for Women’s History Month, the TikTok community is showing love to female creators. Inspired by Pardison Fontaine’s “Hoop Earrings” (78.5K+ user-generated and platform-generated creations to date), Black creators are taking a moment to celebrate themselves and highlight their accomplishments. Using Pardi’s emphatic lines, “If you a black girl/If you a black girl/Do your thang,” Black women on the platform post their best selfies, showcase their artwork, and share affirmations to other Black women.
- It’s Sleazy’s world and we’re all just living in it. Kansas City rapper SleazyWorld Go is one of the hottest rappers on TikTok right now, and his song “Sleazy Flow” is offering creators the chance to strut their stuff. The song has over 100k combined video creations, many of which coming in the last week, as creators respond to the song’s taunting lyrics or comment on rising gas prices. “Sleazy Flow” even made its way to Lil Baby, whose lip sync video using the song has over 8 million views. Sleazy’s success on TikTok has him on an upward trajectory, as the young rapper just signed a new record deal.
- Sam Tinnesz’s powerful 2017 track “Legends Are Made” is experiencing a revival on TikTok, with over 563k video creations on the platform. Initially making waves last year on the app with a host of heartwarming, inspirational creations, the fuzzy rock tune has appeared once again proving its perfect for soundtracking all kinds of creations, from intense to the most lighthearted. Led by the commanding line “This is how legends are made,” creators are taking to the sound to demonstrate the proper way to make the beloved McDonald’s McFlurry, to exhibit their effortless archery skills, and to display their quest to conquer the most massive burritos.
- Known to some for its jaunty charm and to others for its memorable appearance on Mad Men, Gillian Hills’ “Zou Bisou Bisou” is surging in popularity thanks to TikTok.The 1963 French pop classic is the soundtrack of choice for a trend that uses TikTok’s “Meme Maker” filter to reveal cruel twists of fate. The song has over 568k video creations to date, as creators lament suboptimal test strategies, demonstrate how their mind plays tricks on them, fulfill disappointing anime fantasies, and explain how their parents don’t quite understand how memes work.
- The TikTok community is often very direct about what they look for in their romantic relationships. UK rapper Dave’s first single of 2022, “Starlight” (96.5K+ creations), inspires creators to share what they look for in a partner. While some creators unbox “just because” gifts from a significant other, other creators share a video compilation with their lovers. In other videos, creators show off their best beauty transitions as they lip sync the emphatic lyrics, “…I like mine obsessed, clingy/If she don’t miss me, miss me.” Dave also interacted with the song on his TikTok page, sharing photos of himself on tour.
Get ready, everyone – tomorrow, GRAMMY® Award-winning recording artist, producer, and songwriter Rosalía will take to her TikTok account for a special livestreamed TikTok LIVE experience. She’ll be bringing 14 tracks of her forthcoming album MOTOMAMI to life through a full scale show, in which every song will have a unique visual and feel. Tune in tomorrow on @Rosalia at 7:00 pm EST/4:00 pm PST to immerse yourself in her world and experience MOTOMAMI LIVE on TikTok.
Powerful women in music are continuing to showcase their talents during this glorious Women’s History Month, as three-time GRAMMY® Award-nominated, multi-platinum, singer/songwriter Camila Cabello is set to present Familia: Welcome to the Family, an immersive and inventive music experience, broadcast LIVE first on TikTok. The upcoming event features the first-ever live performances of new songs from her forthcoming album Familia. Tune in on @CamilaCabello at 4 PM PT/7 PM ET on April 7th, or to one of the three rebroadcasts (view the full broadcast on TikTok’s newsroom). Read the full announcement on TikTok’s newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/tiktok-presents-an-immersive-musical-performance-with-camila-cabello
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Kerry Harrison, Destiny Riley, T’Keyah Hayes, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
All The Pheelz: Afrobeats, Batman, and More TikTok Music Stories
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry