TikTok Treats, Week of March 7th
This Week, TikTok Creators Brood Like Batman, Test Their Flexibility with Anitta, and Get All the Pheelz From a New Afrobeats Banger
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week, TikTok creators made videos about their favorite new film, created new dances, and discovered future hits in genres like folk pop, hip-hop, and Afrobeats. Take a look at the trends that made TikTok tick this week:
- This weekend, the TikTok community, like much of America, rushed to the theater to see The Batman and watch Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader. The ever-musical TikTok community expressed their love of the movie through songs that bring the film to mind. One such song is the new “Batman” theme by composer Michael Giacchino, whose appropriately dark ambience comes to stand in for the hero himself. With over 33,000 video creations to date, the theme is the perfect soundtrack for defying gravity, worrying about Batman punishing your minor infractions, and far-out theories about the film’s star. Other creators take a moodier route, appropriating Nirvana’s classic “Something In The Way” (7.5k video creations), which was used in a trailer for The Batman, to explain the dark, glum, or thoughtful moods they feel after seeing the movie.
- Recently on TikTok, creators have been strutting their stuff to the tune of superstar Brazilian singer and songwriter Anitta’s groovy, Spanish-language track “Envolver” (183.8K+ creations). The sensual “Envolver Challenge” is sweeping through the platform and putting everyone’s upper body strength to work. There’s almost no place that the TikTok community hasn’t put their strength and dancing skills to the test, with TikTok creators trying the dance out everywhere from the mall to underwater. In the comfort of their own homes, moms-to-be have even put their own spin on the dance. Anitta herself has been actively engaging with the sound on her own account, providing her 15.9 million followers with a detailed tutorial for the dance challenge and duetting some of her favorite creations under the sound.
- Some days aren’t always the easiest for users of the TikTok community, and singer Em Beihold can relate to those not-so-good days. Previously previewing her “Numb Little Bug” song on the platform, the Los Angeles native shared a transparency moment with her TikTok followers about what her bad days feel like. Now boasting over 163K+ creations since its official release last month, the true-to-life song lyrics resonate with creators who are fed up with their stressful lives. The emphatic line, “Do you ever get a little bit tired of life,” inspires creators to share the phrases they’re tired of hearing from men, detail their struggles as a tall girl, and recommend tips for dealing with burnout. The song continues to grow beyond the platform, with over 39M+ Spotify streams and a 14-spot jump on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart this week.
- Houston, TX rapper Monaleo first captured the attention of the TikTok community when she dissed her ex on her 2021 song, “Beating Down Yo Block” (611K+ user-generated and platform-generated creations to date). Now, she’s setting the tone for Women’s History Month with her song, “We Not Humping” (43.5K+ creations). The rejection song inspires creators to do a dance by creators @ariannaflowers and @anelableu. Some TikTok users show off their best twerk moves with their mothers, others use the song to soundtrack their weekly accomplishments. Monaleo also used the sound on her TikTok page, celebrating her second viral song on the platform with a dance of her own.
- Pheelz, one of Nigeria’s most prominent producers and a rising vocalist, has a hit on his hands thanks to TikTok. He’s collaborated with Fireboy DML, Akon, Mr. Eazi, and more, but he’s scored a new hit alongside Wizkid collaborator Buju with “Finesse,” a soothing, yet invigorating new Afrobeats banger. Teased on Pheelz’s TikTok page in the weeks leading up to its March 3rd release, the song started to take off on the platform as the soundtrack to the “Folake Challenge,” a dance created by @iam.anyta, who helped the song generate over 27k video creations since February 24th (with enthusiastic assistance from Pheelz himself). Since the song’s DSP release last week, the official audio has racked up over 12k video creations, providing the perfect background for creators to talk about their trips to exotic locations like Malta and The Maldives, and soundtracking a nurse’s eventful day off. With over 1.5 million in just 5 days on Spotify, where it is currently the top song in Nigeria, “Finesse” is sure to be a global hit soon enough. For his own part, Pheelz was all smiles last week when he showed his fans another way to dance to the song and performed the new hit at London’s O2 Arena.
- From Brooklyn to Chicago to the UK, drill music continuously makes its presence felt on TikTok, with many major moments over the past year. Ready to step up to the plate for his own shine in the UK drill scene is Liverpudlian rapper Hazey, with his hit track “Packs & Potions” (271.5K+ creations) making waves on the platform in recent weeks. Since the clip of the rising drill star rapping the song in a cypher took off on TikTok, the track has sparked creations from TikTok users who feel like dancing when they hear the song, who have found the key to peace, and even from the Champions League. Hazey has even used the sound to rap the tongue-twisting lyrics with his crew and to let fans know about the release of the song’s remix.
Today, TikTok has announced the launch of SoundOn, an all-in-one platform for music marketing and distribution, designed to empower new and undiscovered artists, helping them develop and build their careers. SoundOn is TikTok’s own promotion and music distribution platform, enabling artists to grow their fanbases, harness their creative voice and get their music heard worldwide. The platform allows artists to upload their music directly to TikTok and begin earning royalties, when that music is used. SoundOn pays out 100% royalties to music creators in the first year and 90% after that, and provides a range of promotional tools and support.
Read more information on Sound On at TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/sound-on-the-new-platform-for-tiktok-music-marketing-and-global-track-distribution
Last week, TikTok and RapTV (@Rap) announced Bar 4 Bar, a brand new content series highlighting the hottest rappers in hip-hop and their journey to creating massive songs on TikTok. Each week, RapTV will host two rappers in friendly competition–both artists will freestyle and fans on TikTok will vote on who’s best. The winners of the overall competition will participate in the first-ever RapTV x TikTok Cypher. This week, Round 1 continues with a showdown between “Playboy” hitmaker Jx.Zero and “Don’t Text Me When You’re Drunk” duet champion Zai1k. Head to @Rap to watch the freestyles and vote now!
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Kerry Harrison, Destiny Riley, T’Keyah Hayes, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Mariah Carey, Euphoria, Cat Burns, & More on TikTok
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry