TikTok Treats, Week of February 28th
Mariah Carey Inspires Nostalgic Beauty Trends, Creators Rock Cardigans in Atlanta, and Rachel Chinouriri Shares The Perfect Love Song
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. From Latin rap to indie pop, check out the tracks and trends that are making their way through the platform:
- The TikTok community has previously shown admiration for the soundtrack of HBO’s drama series Euphoria, elevating Labrinth’s “Forever” (1.9M+ creations) and his collaboration with Zendaya, “All For Us” (287.3K+ creations) to trending status on the app. After an explosive penultimate episode, which prominently featured Bonnie Tyler’s 1984 song, “Holding Out For A Hero” TikTok creators are making their own videos using the song. Boasting over 54.2K creations to date, the Footloose soundtrack standout finds creators sharing their thoughts on all things Euphoria. While some creators use the catchy pop song to soundtrack their Euphoria-inspired art, others took a moment to debrief their unanswered questions and opinions about the finale. In other recent creations, TikTok users show off their artistic makeup looks, document their pottery-making processes, and reimagine their wardrobes across decades.
- Just like fashion, hairstyles, and great music, trendy makeup looks from years ago always seem to make their way back around. In recent days, the TikTok community has been picturing what they would look like with thin eyebrows, dramatic mascara, and bold lip liner to the tune of Mariah Carey’s iconic pop track “Fantasy (Remix)” featuring Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ol’ Dirty Bastard. With over 43.5K creations, creators are taking to the sound and using the Y2K and Thin Eyebrows filters to show how the filters make them look just like the 90s version of their mother, relay how their esthetician may have been wrong about how thin eyebrows wouldn’t compliment their face, and embrace their Latina culture.
- Beginning this week, TikTok and RapTV (@Rap) present Bar 4 Bar, a brand new content series highlighting the hottest rappers in hip-hop and their journey to creating massive songs on TikTok. Each week, RapTV will host two rappers in a friendly competition–both artists will freestyle and fans on TikTok will vote on who’s best. The winners of the overall competition will participate in the first-ever RapTV x TikTok Cypher. Round 1 kicked off this week with a matchup between Baby Tate and Big Kill–head to @Rap to check them out!
- TikTok is the place to find earworms of all shapes and sizes, and Lil Shordie Scott’s “Rocking A Cardigan in Atlanta” is this week’s catchiest trending song. Boasting over 27K creations to date, the upbeat, cartoon-like vocals of Lil Shordie Scott inspire creators to get up and show off their best moves. TikTok users put their own spin on a dance routine by creator @imtherulaof1600, and build off of a similar rendition by creators @babyruth_10 and @yairee__. In other videos, creators repurpose a video of Elmo and joke about him rapping the high-pitched lyrics, share what they eat in a day, and soundtrack their time spent at the bowling alley.
- Mexican artist Cris Mj’s catchy track “Una Noche en Medellín” is sweeping through TikTok this week. Amassing over 1.3M creations, TikTok users are fully embracing the Spanish-language song to show off their best chill dance moves with their friends. The sound is perfect for when you want to hit a few moves with your bestie at the beach, on the airplane jetway, and at Guatemalan Carnaval. Cris Mj is having fun with the sound on his own page, as he jams to the song decked out in jewelry and even takes his turn at hitting the trending dance.
- Every so often, a heartfelt track appears on the platform that puts TikTok creators deep in their feelings. This time around, South London’s newest rising singer-songwriter Cat Burns is taking the “feels” music reins with her indie pop track “Go” (47.3K+ creations). Her soulful voice and candid lyric “So don’t call this number anymore / ’Cause I won’t be there for you like I was before” sparks creations from those who reflect on people who have done them wrong and send encouragement to leave toxic situations. The pitched, slowed version of the track “Go (Lower & Slower)” (53.2K+ creations) is also making waves on the app, soundtracking creations of beautiful tattoos and “day in the life” videos of college athletes. Cat Burns has commented on her song’s rise on her own account, expressing her immense gratitude for how the song’s TikTok success propelled it to #47 on Apple Music’s Top 100 Songs Chart and #34 on UK’s Official Songs Chart, making it her first official Top 40 hit.
- With the success of songs such as Sadie Jean’s “WYD NOW?” (150.9K+ creations) and GAYLE’s “abcdefu” (2.5M+ creations), the TikTok community has proven countless times that the platform is a perfect way for artists to test the temperature of unreleased music. Singer Rachel Chinouriri saw similar results when she posted a snippet of her song, “So My Darling (Acoustic).” Garnering over 172.7K+ creations to date, the mellow track inspires creators to share some of their sweetest moments with their loved ones. Recent videos find creators sharing a piece of fruit with their cats, locking eyes with their significant other, and filming adorable father-daughter moments. Rachel Chinouriri also interacted with the sound, encouraging her 306K TikTok followers to continue streaming the song. Now officially released on Spotify, the song continues to grow with nearly 10 million streams to date (acoustic and full version combined) and securing a spot on the Spotify Viral 50 chart.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
Dre’s Halftime, Phoebe’s “Motion Sickness,” and More from Music on TikTok
Becky & Karol G, Madonna, and Nelly Furtado Highlight the Week in Music on TikTok
Major Bags, ’70s Gems, Space Jam DVDs, and More TikTok Music Stories
Here Come the TikTok-Steppers: Charlie Puth, Ini Kamoze, Mason Ramsey & More
Act Like You Know: Time Machines, The Ting Tings, & More on TikTok
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry