TikTok Treats, Week of February 14th
Latina Queens Share a Fiery Collab, ’80s Hits Come Back Into Consciousness, and Nelly Furtado Gives a Major Co-Sign
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. Each hit song on TikTok has a story. Some songs rise to prominence via viral dances, while others soundtrack comedic situations or bubble up from a niche community into the broader consciousness. This week on TikTok brought songs from Latina superstars, ’80s icons, rising rappers, and more. Take a look at how some recent trending songs rose to prominence:
- Two of music’s biggest Latin stars, and two TikTok favorites who are no strangers to seeing success on the app, Karol G and Becky G are making waves on the platform with their new collaboration, “MAMIII.” Fresh off of its release this past Friday, the pop reggaeton track has already racked up over 145.7K creations between both official sounds. The empowerment anthem is inspiring creations from those who embrace new hairstyles, cook up delicious recipes for fitness journeys, and flaunt their new looks in clothing hauls. Becky G has even taken to her own account to display her fun housekeeping techniques and show love to Karol G for collaborating on the song with her.
- TikTok creators are tapping into their acting chops this week, soundtracked by the 80s vibes of Madonna’s “Material Girl” (458.2K+ creations) and Scottish band Simple Minds’ “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” (22.6K+ creations). The trend sees creators looking to the future and taking on the persona of their older selves (with help from TikTok’s “old face” filter), as they pretend to tell their children and grandchildren about their younger glory days. They then transform to the “throwback” view of their younger selves as the sound switches from the verse to the chorus. While “Material Girl” sparks creations from those who can’t wait to tell their grandchildren about how cool they were with their nose ring and their talent for sporting glamorous makeup looks, “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” sparks creations from those who plan to tell their grandchildren about their rebellious days of going against classroom rules and escapades of sneaking out of their parents’ houses.
- Nelly Furtado turned heads with her Timbaland-produced hits in the ’00s, and now TikTok is feeling the vibe. With its prominent percussion and a memorable vocal ad-lib (“hey”), her 2006 #1 hit “Say It Right” is one of TikTok’s hottest songs. The Timbo-aided banger’s second life is being fueled by creator Brittany Broski (known for her puzzled reaction to trying Kombucha), who recorded herself dancing wildly to the song’s chorus. Her video caught the attention of Doja Cat, who stitched the clip with her own version of Timbaland’s famous ad-lib, in a video that got over 27 million views. Not to be outdone, Nelly Furtado jumped on the trend herself, giving Doja and Brittani her stamp of approval.
- The TikTok community can’t get enough of unexpected mashups of timeless hits. Blending two beloved favorites, Twin DJ duo ALTÉGO give a mashup makeover to Britney Spears’ 2003 hit “Toxic” and Ginuwine’s 1996 classic “Pony,” creating their trending remix “Toxic Pony.” Boasting over 2.7M+ creations on the platform, the pop-R&B fusion mashup finds TikTok users doing their rendition of a dance by creator @benibol. While some creators do the routine with their crew, others show off their creativity by adding their own flair to the dance. In other recent videos, creators reveal what their red flags are using the “Toxic Trait” filter.
- Rising rapper Yéat has a viral hit on his hands with his song “Monëy so big.” The song started to gain traction in TikTok’s sizable community of anime fans, particularly fans of Attack On Titan and its main character Eren Jaeger. As the trend made its way to the broader TikTok population, the song started to soundtrack unexpected people or situations who interfere with creators’ best laid plans, including identical twins disrupting each other’s love lives, Julius Caesar raising his own ransom price, or friends making sure friends don’t text their exes.
- Although the TikTok community forms bonds online, sometimes creators give a glimpse into what can be expected from their ‘IRL’ interactions. Using beloved Canadian garage rock band The King Khan & BBQ Show’s 2005 song, “Love You So” (40.2K+ creations), creators show off their facial profiles from the perspective of others. Recent videos find creators recording themselves at all angles, while some take the opportunity to reveal their favorite profile. In other creations, the guitar-driven song soundtracks creators as they share their vacation photos, record their preparation for “Galentine’s Day,” and recreate an eyeliner style from a TikTok filter. The success of King Khan proves that even underground kings and indie icons can score hits on TikTok if the right trend emerges.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
For more info, please contact:
Michelle McDevitt, Kerry Harrison, Destiny Riley, T’Keyah Hayes, Audible Treats
Leah Linder, TikTok
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
“Pushin P,” Papa Roach, “Pompeii” and More Music Trends from TikTok
We Need to Talk About “Bruno,” And Other TikTok Music Trends
TikTok Rings In The New Year with Bad Bunny, Drill Remixes, and R&B Hits
Christmas Songs, Squid Game Remixes, and More TikTok Music Stories
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry