TikTok Treats, Week of November 29th
The TikTok Community Puts a Spin on Christmas Classics, Vibes to an Alphabetical Breakup Anthem, and Excitedly Share Their Thanksgiving Plates During a Busy Week on the Platform
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week’s TikTok trends reflect the ups and downs of Thanksgiving week, with some creators living their truth despite their family’s objections, others anticipating the arrival of Christmas, and some just salivating over the holiday’s feast. Take a look at some of the most notable trends this week, featuring two new songs reaching the charts, propelled by TikTok success:
- The weather outside is getting frightful, and on TikTok, like in department stores across the nation, that only means one thing: it’s time for Christmas music. Several old chestnuts are trending throughout TikTok as the community gets into the holiday spirit. Leading the way is “Let It Snow! Let It Snow!,” the carefree classic popularized by Frank Sinatra himself. Some users delight in the song’s wintery vibes, but many more come through with a sarcastic spin on Sinatra’s drawn out delivery of “mmm delightful,” commenting on backhanded compliments, weird comments from customers, or unexpectedly low test scores. The other Christmas classic experiencing a resurgence is Leroy Anderson’s “Sleigh Ride,” with a trend that takes advantage not of its famous chorus and verse but its lesser-known instrumental passage. Enterprising creators create dance routines soundtracked by the song’s clopping hooves and whip cracks, while one creative user made a video about her unique take on an elf on the shelf.
- Whether they face problems in their love life or simply enjoy singing their hearts out, the TikTok community appreciates a catchy breakup song. This week, creators are reciting the alphabet with a brazen twist using Nashville singer GAYLE’s, “abcdefu” (569.5K+ creations). Drawing inspiration from a TikTok creator who asked her to write a breakup song based on the alphabet, GAYLE’s emphatic hook inspires creators to call out people who have done them wrong — such as exes, former classmates, and strangers who have stolen from them. In other creations, “abcdefu” allows users to let their frustrations out by smashing bottles in rage rooms and breaking ceramic plates outside. GAYLE’s TikTok success has directly translated to success off the platform–the song made its debut at #51 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week, while GAYLE reacted to hearing the song on the radio for the first time.
- TikTok consistently provides a space for creators to fully and authentically embrace, and take pride in, their identities. This week, creators throughout TikTok are reclaiming their power from those that didn’t understand or support them, proudly displaying their confidence in themselves and affirming their identity for the world to see. With over 46.6K creations, rock band CRAWLERS’ song “Come Over (Again)” is leading the way for this self-love trend. Creators are taking to the powerful lyric “Take her name out of your mouth” as they reflect on their journey to gaining the self-confidence and freedom to express their true selves. The song is inspiring creations from those proudly declaring their trans identity with their siblings and those advocating for body positivity. CRAWLERS’ lead singer Holly has even taken to the sound on the band’s page to reveal the song’s origin and emphatically thank fans on TikTok for their immense support.
- There’s more to many TIkTok creators than meets the eye, and now with a new TikTok trend, they’re letting the world know just how multi-faceted they are. Giving other users a glimpse into their complex lives, creators explore their versatility using AWOLNATION’s 2011 song, “Sail” (227.6K+ creations). Accompanied by the dense bass and pizzicato synths of the song’s intro, creators show off photo and video compilations of their hobbies, everyday activities, and their healing journeys from grief to acceptance. Aaron Bruno, the lead singer of AWOLNATION, also participated in the #my3lives challenge using “Sail,” showing off some of his favorite everyday activities when he’s not dominating stages.
- “Do It To It” by ACRAZE, a house remix of former girl group Cherish’s 2007 “Do It To It,” was one of the most surprising EDM hits of 2021, with DJ Snake going as far as to call it “the song of the summer.” The song gained traction on TikTok earlier this year, but ever since Zedd released a new remix that incorporates the theme music from Squid Game, the song has exploded into the stratosphere. With over 1.3 million video creations, the song is the basis of a dance challenge that tests the knees and takes hours to master, but it’s crossed over into the wider world of TikTok viral videos, soundtracking memes about spilling beans, the lowering of a new roommate’s expectations, and much more.
- The TikTok community was more than ready to express their excitement for the Thanksgiving holiday. After a successful food-related run on the app last year DJ Chose’s “#UNameItChallenge” (42.7K+ creations) made a comeback, establishing itself as the official TikTok Thanksgiving anthem. DJ Chose’s catchy, booming production paired with gospel legend Shirley Caesar’s recitation of some of the most popular Thanksgiving foods has made for a plethora of mouth-watering Thanksgiving-themed creations. DJ Chose’s track can be heard soundtracking delicious leftover recipes, public displays of eccentric dancing, and creative dinners for the cutest shelter pups.
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry