TikTok Treats, Week Of June 22nd
A Weekly Roundup Of Interesting Music Stories From the World of TikTok – This Week, TikTok Provides a Platform for Artists and Users to Show Their Pride 🏳️🌈
Audible Treats is excited to work with TikTok, the world’s leading platform for music discovery. Each week, TikTok Treats will bring the platform’s best music stories directly to your inbox.
TikTok offers a place to users to engage their creativity and show the world their authentic selves. This month, TikTok celebrates Pride, spotlighting LGBTQ+ creators and encouraging users to share their stories with the #MyPride hashtag and curating a special #MyPride playlist of suggested sounds.
Today, we’ll explore how A-list artists, aspiring singer-songwriters, and TikTok users use music to educate others, celebrate themselves, and demonstrate their fearless expression during Pride.
- Sia and her frequent collaborator Maddie Ziegler showed their support for the LGBT+ community in a recent TikTok. To the tune of Sia’s recent single “Together,” Maddie uses make-up to transform herself into a human rainbow. With over 77k video creations, “Together” is becoming a TikTok #MyPride anthem.
- Rising singer Maia, better known as @mxmtoon, is a TikTok sensation, gaining fame on the platform after her song “Prom Dress” inspired over 500k video creations. During Pride Month, Maia has used TikTok to explore gender identity and educate her followers about police brutality and systemic racism. Maia earned a placement on TikTok’s list of TikTok Trailblazers for #MyPride 2020.
- Written as an anthem for self-expression and self-love, Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” has experienced a resurgence on TikTok this month, soundtracking videos that celebrate LGBTQ+ couples, coming-out videos, pro-Pride baking vids, and even deep dives into the sexual orientation of SpongeBob Squarepants.
- TikTok user @madsteaparty is a freshman at UCLA and an aspiring songwriter with a gift for translating his romantic and personal issues into catchy acoustic pop songs. Recently, Mad’s been exploring his bisexuality through song, including his recent single “Boy Bi,” which chronicles his attempts to explain his bisexuality to his friends, and an untitled new song that recounts his unrequited crushes on straight guys. Videos of his songs on TikTok have generated more than 3 million video views this month.
- Beau & Matt, TikTok Trail Blazers and self-proclaimed “Gay Uncles of Tik Tok” put their own spin on Chloe x Halle’s #KeepingItCute challenge in an effort to fundraise for SAGE USA, an organization that advocates for LGBT seniors.
So join TikTok for #MyPride to share LGBTQ+ stories, salute individuality and creativity, and emphasize acceptance, inclusivity, and self-love. This week, TikTok is hosting a series of #MyPride livestreams, with appearances from Hayley Kiyoko, Adam Rippon, Trixie Mattel and other stars of RuPaul’s Drag Race, and others.
Check out TikTok’s #MyPride Playlist
Please visit TikTok’s newsroom to read about TikTok’s #MyPride initiative, which includes a $3+ million donation to organizations that advocate for the LGBTQ+ community.TikTok’s #MyPride Livestream Schedule (5:30pm PT):
(all times Pacific)
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
Click here to read TikTok’s progress report on supporting Black communities and promoting diversity & inclusion: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/progress-report-how-were-supporting-black-communities-and-promoting-diversity-and-inclusion
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out TikTok’s #MyPride Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7ihRFbqJkXDaaQNNG32mGy?si=Yzl1KTk9QIOwKyZQjwyiag