TikTok Treats, Week of January 17th
Gunna Coins a Phrase, Papa Roach Solicits New “Last Resort” Verses, and Labrinth Soundtracks Euphoric Fantasies
Each week, the TikTok Treats newsletter gives a snapshot of the state of music on TikTok, touching on trending hits, emerging artists, superstar moves, ascendant memes, and much more. This week on TikTok, creators vibed to a mix of classic hits, beloved soundtracks, and chart-topping rap albums. Check out what’s poppin’ in the world of music on TikTok:
- Rapper Gunna earned the nation’s number one album on Billboard this week, but he’s also a champion on TikTok. His #1 album DS4EVER has spawned a new hit, “pushin P,” featuring fellow Atlanta rap stars Future and Young Thug, and it’s making major waves on TikTok. On a radio interview that went viral on TikTok, Gunna gave an explanation of the phrase “Pushin P,” and many people, including TikTok creators, are embracing it and putting their own spin on the now-viral phrase. Garnering over 67K creations so far, the low key trap track is soundtracking creators’ hilarious appreciation of the song’s lyrics, “everyday” makeup tutorials, and dedication to naming their children after the song to make Gunna proud. Gunna even took to his own page to express his excitement about the album’s success.
- “CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES” – for music fans of a certain generation, that opening lyric from Papa Roach’s “Last Resort” is a clarion call of nostalgia, harkening back to a distant era when angsty nu-metal ruled the airwaves. The hit from the year 2000 has found a home on TikTok, where it has earned over 57k video creations, bolstered by the band and frontman Jacoby Shaddix, who helped the band build up a TikTok following of over 1.4 million fans. Earlier this month, Shaddix invited his fans to create their own lyrics to “Last Resort” using the duet function. Fans responded in droves–the video inspired over 2500 duets, as creators belted out songs about fractal swords, plastic forks, and pillow forts. Even busy music nerd Anthony Fantano, aka @TheNeedleTok, got in on the action by bisecting his banana (no peeling necessary).
- TikTok creators often engage in reminiscing, but there are moments when exploring the past can get a bit too real. For these moments, TikTok has turned to a viral clip of comedian Steven He shouting “emotional damage!” to humorously poke fun at their pain. In early January, enterprising creator William Li mashed up He’s exclamation with the 2013 megahit “Pompeii” by Bastille, creating a cacophonous and surprisingly catchy banger that has taken TikTok by storm. With over 66k creations, the mashup is the ideal soundtrack for thinking about depressing books assigned to children in school, future topics to discuss with therapists, and the turbulent start to the year 2022. The mashup even made it to the official TikTok accounts of the Barclays Premier League and Fortnite. Dan Smith of Bastille had the last world, as he duetted William Li’s original video and granted his approval.
- With the highly-anticipated Season 2 return of the infamous HBO drama series Euphoria, creators have returned to the series’ Labrinth-composed Season 1 Original Score. Recently, the Season 2 debut of the series has inspired multiple trending songs from psychedelic Euphoria score, including “All For Us” (20.5K+ creations) featuring the series’ lead actress Zendaya, “Formula” (90.7K+ creations), and “Euphoria Unfair” (10.5K+ creations). Creators are using the score to express their love for the show, as they create Euphoria-inspired Sims 4 characters, use a TikTok effect to take Euphoria character quizzes, and share their surreal excitement about meeting one of the actresses from the show. This isn’t the first time that Labrinth’s Euphoria soundtrack has made waves on TikTok–the score saw success on the app last year, with “Still Don’t Know My Name” amassing over 1M creations.
- TikTok creators can’t get enough of Louis Prima’s 1957 classic “Pennies From Heaven,” which was one of the year’s top “Classic Tracks” on TikTok. Now, creators are continuing to push Prima, breathing new life into his 1964 song, “Che La Luna” (65.8K+ creations). The trumpet-heavy song inspires creators to share things they own that explain something unique about their lifestyle. While some creators show off their Italian grandparents’ antique and plant collections, others take pride in their Marvel themed-bathrooms. Beyond that trend, “Che La Luna” is cheerful background music, soundtracking videos of creators sharing their comfort food recipes, disappointing grocery store runs, and hilarious declarations of when New Year begins.
- After hour after hour spent scrolling, it can be a good idea to unplug. In recent days, TikTok creators have been using an unconventional method to get their friends to put their phones down. Appropriately soundtracked by Lost Kings’ 2016 song, “Phone Down,” the trend encourages creators take away t peers’ phones by grabbing it with their feet. With over 198.6k creations, the song provides an atmospheric backdrop to phone robberies of all types, whether creators are trying to get their significant other to watch a movie or to get children off their iPads, or more.
Recapping a busy year of music on the platform, TikTok shared its “Year On TikTok: 2021 Music Report” in mid-December, offering data and in-depth analysis about the platform’s biggest songs and most impactful trends. View the full report here: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us/year-on-tiktok-music-report-2021
Check TikTok’s newsroom for more noteworthy stories: newsroom.tiktok.com
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.
TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo.
TikTok’s Newsroom: https://newsroom.tiktok.com/en-us
Check out previous editions of TikTok Treats, a weekly newsletter about the most interesting music happenings on TikTok:
For Your TikTok Turkey Day Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, and More
Taylor Swift Turns TikTok ‘Red,’ ‘Tis Mariah Carey’s Season, Lady Gaga Makes A Grand Arrival & More
On TikTok: U2 Closes Out #Rocktober as Kanye West and Afropop Lead New Trends
Led Zeppelin Joins TikTok, While Adele and Luke Combs Spark New Trends
Dwayne Johnson, George Michael, and Jack Stauber Inspire New TikTok Trends
On TikTok: A Bee Gees Remix, A Very Juggalo Halloween, and Some Rising Hitmakers
Rosalía, Coi Leray, and MCR Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
Balvin, Doja, and Mariah Lead a Star-Studded Week on TikTok
Sam Smith, Ciara and Breakout PinkPantheress Highlight the Week on TikTok
Lizzo Starts “Rumors,” bbno$ Eats “edamame,” and More Hip-Hop TikTok Stories
#AltTikTok, Alt-J, and All-Time Rap Classics Define Music on TikTok This Week
Cats, Babies, & Vietnamese Techno Highlight the Week in TikTok Music
On TikTok: Normani, Reba, and a Gas Station Star
The Kid Laroi Meets Bieber, Drake Runs Thru The 6, and More From TikTok
BIA Meets Nicki, Stromae Slows Down, and More TikTok Trends
On TikTok: Music Trends Inspired by Kanye, Young Nudy, and…Meryl Streep?
Avril Lavigne, Bo Burnham, and Gucci Mane Lead The Week in TikTok Trends
TikTok Summer Madness: Lorde Leads a Pack of New Trending Songs
Swae Lee, WILLOW, Mitski & More Inspire Trends on TikTok
Only On TikTok: Lil Durk & City Girls Trend Alongside…The Backyardigans?
On TikTok: BTS Army Takes Over, Carti Demands Silence, and Fans Anticipate F9
Olivia Rodrigo Catches Fire, Miguel Helps Users Catch Feelings, and More TikTok Stories
Saweetie, Calvin Harris, and Bella Poarch Highlight The Week in TikTok
Another One? DJ Khaled, Lizzo, and More Make the Week in TikTok
Doja Cat, Little Simz, and El Alfa Inspire TikTok Trends
Britney Spears, Chloe Bailey, and Diplo Make Waves on TikTok
Dua Lipa, Drake, and Bell Biv DeVoe Make Waves on TikTok
DMX Gets His Flowers, Silk Sonic Reaches #1, and More TikTok Stories
TikTok Unveils Music-Powered Filters, Lil Nas X Debuts At #1, and More TikTok Stories
Bieber Tops The Charts, Young Thug Premieres New Music, and More TikTok Stories
Demi Lovato Kicks Off TikTok’s New Livestream Series Headstream
Rock Music Thrives on TikTok, Just Ask Yungblud, Beach Bunny, and More
Shania Hops On Board, Kid Cudi Tosses and Turns, and More TikTok Stories
On TikTok: Kali Uchis and Coi Leray Hit the Charts as Bobby Shmurda Comes Home
Rihanna, Brent Faiyaz, and Giveon Lead TikTok’s R&B Moment
T-Pain, Hyperpop, and Anti-Valentine’s Anthems Take TikTok By Storm
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Black History Month Kicks Off, Mark Ronson Duets, and More Music Stories From TikTok
Cardi Goes Up, Uzi Goes Down (to Sleep), and More TikTok Stories
Dave Grohl, Migos, Miley, and More Happenings on TikTok
This Week on TikTok: Olivia Rodrigo Hits #1 as Memes & Mashups Flourish
New Year, New TikTok Trends: Alicia Keys, Remembering MF DOOM & More
Paul McCartney, Holiday Celebrations, and New Year’s Eve Live on TikTok
TikTok Releases First U.S. Music Report: Here Are Some Key Insights
How TikTok’s Top 10 Songs of 2020 Impacted the Industry