Lyrics Born To Release Solo Album Real People Early 2015 + Releases New Mixtape Today
Acclaimed Rapper/Producer Releases The Lyrics Born Variety Show Season 6 Mixtape + Upcoming Performances
Critical praise for Lyrics Born:
“Far-reaching flows over throwback electro soul, or street-wise synth-pop for the 20-10… whatever labels you need to apply to it – at day’s end, it’s just good fucking music.” – Okayplayer
“…if Lyrics Born has one defining strength it’s his ability to get structurally and rhythmically adventurous in his flow while still remaining perfectly simple to follow linguistically.” – Pitchfork
“God bless Lyrics Born.” – PopMatters
“The Second Album is life-affirming, with a force few artists in any genre can match.” – NPR
Recruiting the talents of some of New Orleans’ most legendary artist & musicians, producer/rapper Lyrics Born is proud to announce the upcoming release of his eighth album, Real People, set to drop in early 2015 via his newly formed Mobile Home Recordings label. Recorded entirely in The Big Easy by Galactic‘s Robert Mercurio and Ben Ellman, the album follows the ethos Lyrics Born has maintained for his 20+ year career: continually looking to do things that neither he nor anyone else has done yet. The combination of his distinct voice, wide-ranging musicality, and sonic unpredictability has earned him respect from his peers and critics alike and endorsements from EA Sports games and Coca-Cola commercials, as well as inclusion in several motion picture soundtracks and television shows. Today, Lyrics Born is releasing a mixtape to promote the upcoming album, entitled, The Lyrics Born Variety Show Season Six, which is being premiered by HipHopDX. The mixtape, sponsored by Room 389 in Oakland, CA, is available for purchase digitally on his official site and physically at shows.
“New Orleans is the one true music town in American, maybe in the world,” states Bay Area-based Lyrics Born. “As an artist and a person, I identify with the culture, the sensibilities, the lifestyle, and the people. After releasing the ’80s electro funk feel of As U Were and the crazy eclectic ultra-lyrical Latyrx The Second Album, I wanted to do something really soulful, organic, earthy, and with an honest, unpretentious funk feel. That’s basically New Orleans.” The album’s strong cast of NOLA guest artists include Trombone Shorty, Ivan Neville, Galactic, Corey Henry, and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. The album also includes guest stars Corey Glover (Living Colour), David Shaw (The Revivalists), Billy Martin (Medeski, Martin & Wood), and more.
True to form Lyrics Born balances his trademark mix of clever, good-time party Hip-Hop with a strong dose of New Orleans flavored funk. Real People is perhaps Lyrics Born’s most honest body of work about himself and his take on the human race. LB shares personal experiences such as emigrating from Japan as a kid, fatherhood, the direction society has turned in post-great-recession America, while also celebrating adulthood and looking forward to the joys (and pains) of growing. As he explains it, “I talk a lot of foolish shit and cuss my ass off and explore my darker side on certain songs. Hopefully we get a good cross-section of ourselves to explore on this album.”
Lyrics Born is also performing a string of shows around Halloween that will also serve as mixtape release parties. Tickets available through his official site.
Read the HipHopDX album announcement and mixtape premiere: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.31211/title.lyrics-born-the-lyrics-born-variety-show-season-6-release-date-cover-art-tracklist-mixtape-stream
Upcoming Show Dates:
Oct. 30 – Petaluma, CA at Zodiacs – LBVS6 Release Party!
Oct. 31 – Arcata, CA at Portuguese Hall – KMUD Halloween Party ft. Talib Kweli
Nov. 01 – Laytonville, CA at Boomers – LBVS6 Release Party!
Nov. 14 – Portland, OR at Alhambra Theatre
Dec. 31 – Victor, ID at Knotty Pine – New Years Eve Party!
The Lyrics Born Variety Show Season 6 tracklist:
1. Arrival (DJ Icewater Blend) – Latyrx vs Pretty Lights
2. Cannon In The Heavens – Lotus ft. Lyrics Born
3. Everything is Fine – Gift of Gab ft. Lyrics Born & George Clinton
4. She Can Git It (EXCLUSIVE) – Lyrics Born & Cutso of The Bangerz
5. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised -An Apple A Day ft. Lyrics Born
6. Hands Up (Remix) – DJ Zeph ft. Lyrics Born & Gift of Gab
7. Vibe Vendetta Freestyle (EXCLUSIVE) – Pretty Lights ft. Lyrics Born
8. More – My-G ft. Lyrics Born
9. Exclamation Point! (Edison Remix – EXCLUSIVE) – Latyrx ft. Forrest Day
10. What Happened 2 Our Love Affair? (DJ Icewater Blend) – Lyrics Born
11. Seco – Instituto ft. Lyrics Born, Joyo Velarde, & Bnegao
12. Urayasu Girl – Amores Vigilantes ft. Lyrics Born
13. Shadow – Alan Wilkis ft. Lyrics Born & White Hinterland
14. Poetic Wildfire (Freestyle – EXCLUSIVE – DJ Icewater Blend) – Lyrics Born
15. Watershed Moment – Latyrx ft. Tuneyards & The Gift of Gab
16. Tom Shimura (Freestyle – EXCLUSIVE) – Lyrics Born
17. Things They Wish They Could – Somehow At Sea ft. Lyrics Born
18. Shake It Off (DJ Icewater Blend) – Lyrics Born
19. Vintage MCM (Freestyle – EXCLUSIVE) – Lyrics Born
20. That’s It! (Real People Remix)* – Lyrics Born vs Preservation Hall Jazz Band
21. Deliberate Jibberish – Latyrx ft. Tuneyards
22. $ir Racha* – Lyrics Born
23. Do That There (Fort Knox 5 Remix) – Lyrics Born
24. Jump (DJ Icewater Blend) – Skins & Needles ft. Lyrics Born
25. Chest Wide Open* – Lyrics Born ft. David Shaw of The Revivalists
26. My 9 to 5 – Latyrx
*from the forthcoming album: Real People
Lyrics Born’s Background:
The first words of Lyrics Born‘s eighth album speak volumes about where the legendary MC stands these days: “Real people do real things. Yes we do.” The Bay Area resident born Tom Shimura has stood at the peak of high-minded underground rap, explored the far reaches of interstellar synth-hop, and blazed trails galore. The Tokyo-born, Berkeley-based artist has owned his career each step of the way, ever since a radio gig at UC Davis’ KDVS put him in the same room as Shadow, the mighty Blackalicious, and his Latyrx partner Lateef the Truthspeaker. As co-founder of the Solesides and Quannum Projects labels, LB was vital in pushing independent hip-hop music into the limelight, dropping a minted classic, The Album, with his duo in 1997. The Same !@#$ Different Day set followed in 2005, rounding up the likes of KRS-One, Dan the Automator, Cut Chemist, E-40, and Morcheeba for a series of radical remixes.
He expanded his palette again with 2008’s Everywhere at Once on historic punk label Epitaph Records. The instrument-heavy LP spawned a Jimmy Kimmel Live! appearance with “I Like It, I Love It.” Now, Lyrics Born is proud to officially launch his very own Mobile Home Records with Real People. The new album’s strong focus is a compliment to the wild range of Latyrx’s 2013 return, The Second Album, which featured collaborations with folks from tUnE-yArDs, Decemberists, and Anticon, among others. As always, Lyrics Born remains committed to delivering the unexpected and outdoing himself with ease.
Bio, pics, and more here: http://audibletreats.com/lyrics-born/